Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
alma_gimpy alma_gimpy is offline

Default I want a different page # sequence in the header than in the foote

I have seperated my document into section page breaks, and created sequential
page numbers in the header for each section (starting over each time at nuber
1). At the same time, I would like my footer to total the number of pages of
the document as a whole (aka- link it to each previous section). However,
when I tried to do this, it kept changing the header also, so that it would
be linked to the previous section's page number sequence- can I stop it from
doing this? Can I have difference number sequences in the footer than I do
in the header?
Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QWxtYV9HaW1weQ==?=,

I have seperated my document into section page breaks, and created sequential
page numbers in the header for each section (starting over each time at nuber
1). At the same time, I would like my footer to total the number of pages of
the document as a whole (aka- link it to each previous section). However,
when I tried to do this, it kept changing the header also, so that it would
be linked to the previous section's page number sequence- can I stop it from
doing this? Can I have difference number sequences in the footer than I do
in the header?

It would require doing some manual fiddling to create the "running total".

You'd need to insert a SectionPages field in the *text* of each section.
Bookmark it. You can also format it as "hidden" so that it doesn't show (but you
have to be careful to not delete it).

In the footer of each section you'd then use a formula field to pick up the
appropriate bookmarks and add them together. Roughly:

{ = {Ref Sec1Pages \* CharFormat } + {Ref Sec2Page \* CharFormat } }

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)