Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RWright RWright is offline

Default Multiple TOCs

I am trying to create a report template where I have a table of contents for
all of my sections, sections headers, etc. and then a separate table of
contents, after that first and main TOC for tables and figures in my report.
Is this possible? I want them to be mutually exclusive. Any help that anyone
could provide would be greatly appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

RWright wrote:
I am trying to create a report template where I have a table of
contents for all of my sections, sections headers, etc. and then a
separate table of contents, after that first and main TOC for tables
and figures in my report. Is this possible? I want them to be
mutually exclusive. Any help that anyone could provide would be
greatly appreciated!

Yes, it's possible.

In the document, insert a bookmark to contain each section that needs a
separate TOC. Then use a \b switch in the TOC field and supply the
bookmark's name. The article
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...OCSwitches.htm describes this
under the heading "A partial table of contents".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Word already has provision for a Table of Figures (separate tab in the
dialog), which is built on figure captions (which include the { SEQ figure }
field), but you can have as many TOCs as you like. Some precautions are
required, however.

1. After the first TOC, press Enter at least twice before trying to insert
another TOC. To make sure that you have an "empty paragraph" (paragraph
mark) outside the TOC field, display nonprinting characters (so you can see
the paragraph marks) and press Alt+F9 to display the TOC field. It's
generally prudent to leave one entirely empty paragraph between TOC fields,
so you should insert the next TOC in the second paragraph after (outside)
the first one.

2. If, when you go to insert the second TOC, Word asks you (despite all
these precautions) whether you want to replace the existing one, Just Say
No.

If you're building your List of Tables on a specific style or caption type
( SEQ table, for example), it will be more efficient to use a Table of
Figures rather than a Table of Contents; you can select either the caption
type or a given style (but only one, unlike the TOC in which you can
designate as many styles as you like at any given level).