Pat Evans

Default mail merge that can't sort because rows are table headings

Created a word mailmerge document from an existing merge document. Saved new
document wiith new name and then after re-opening new document, tried to sort
alphabetically and got the message in the subject line. How do I return this
document back to a regular mailmerge document.

Any assistance you may give me would be greatly appreciated.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?UGF0IEV2YW5z?=,

Created a word mailmerge document from an existing merge document. Saved new
document wiith new name and then after re-opening new document, tried to sort
alphabetically and got the message in the subject line. How do I return this
document back to a regular mailmerge document.

I'm not clear on what you have, here. Let's start with the version of Word :-)

Then, are we discussing a main merge document (one with mergefields in it), or a
data source document, or a merge result document? Both for the "old" and the
"new" documents.

Note: I've never seen this error message before, which is why I have to find out
exactly what you've done, with what type of document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

mailmerge that won't sort alphabetically

I have word 2000. I had a mail merge document that I added names to which
has approximately 13 to 14 columns. In order to make sure that I entered all
the names correctly, I wanted to sort alphabetically by company name. When I
highlighted all the columns, clicked on tools and then the sort button I got
the message "mail merge can't sort because rows are table headings". I also
tried to highlight just the company name, but came up with the same message.
I also have never seen this before and nothing in help would assist me.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UGF0IEV2YW5z?=,

Created a word mailmerge document from an existing merge document. Saved new
document wiith new name and then after re-opening new document, tried to sort
alphabetically and got the message in the subject line. How do I return this
document back to a regular mailmerge document.

I'm not clear on what you have, here. Let's start with the version of Word :-)

Then, are we discussing a main merge document (one with mergefields in it), or a
data source document, or a merge result document? Both for the "old" and the
"new" documents.

Note: I've never seen this error message before, which is why I have to find out
exactly what you've done, with what type of document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Select all the rows and go to the Table menu. Clear the "Heading rows
repeat" or "Heading row" setting. Or select the whole table and on the Row
tab of Table Properties, clear the check box for "Heading row." If there is
an actual heading row, re-mark it as a heading.

"mailmerge that won't sort alphabetically" mailmerge that won't sort
wrote in message
I have word 2000. I had a mail merge document that I added names to which
has approximately 13 to 14 columns. In order to make sure that I entered

all
the names correctly, I wanted to sort alphabetically by company name.

When I
highlighted all the columns, clicked on tools and then the sort button I

got
the message "mail merge can't sort because rows are table headings". I

also
tried to highlight just the company name, but came up with the same

message.
I also have never seen this before and nothing in help would assist me.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?UGF0IEV2YW5z?=,

[...]

or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

mailmerge that won't sort alphabetically

Thank you so much. This actually worked. I have fought with this for 2
weeks. Let it alone for a day or 2 and then back at it. Now I can have a
restful weekend and won't have to come in on Monday and face that merge.
Thank you once again and have a great weekend.

wrote in message
I have word 2000. I had a mail merge document that I added names to which
has approximately 13 to 14 columns. In order to make sure that I entered

all
the names correctly, I wanted to sort alphabetically by company name.

When I
highlighted all the columns, clicked on tools and then the sort button I

got
the message "mail merge can't sort because rows are table headings". I

also
tried to highlight just the company name, but came up with the same

message.
I also have never seen this before and nothing in help would assist me.

Hi ?B?UGF0IEV2YW5z?=,