Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Tim M.

Default stylesheets and headers

Hi, I am trying to create a document in Word 2003 using our company's
stylesheet. In the stylesheet is the following entry:
H4.Header
{
font-size:14px;
font-family:Verdana
}
which defines a style that should be applicable to the standard H4 header,
as far as I know. However, when I attach the stylesheet, the Heading 4 that
becomes available seems to be some sort of default using Times New Roman text
and different formatting to my header style. How can I get Word to show me my
h4.header style? I know that I can create a new style with the formatting
that I want, but that defeats the purpose of what I am trying to do here. I
need the final output in the html file to be:
h4 class="header"some text.../h4

thanks a ton.
Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly

Hi Tim

I don't think I have the answer, but here is some information that might
help.

First, it's worth distinguishing the terminology between a heading and a
header. A header is text or other material that appears at the top of every
printed page of a document. A heading is some short text, often large and
bold, that identifies the material that follows it.

H4.Header ... defines a style that should be applicable to the standard H4
header

Not really. H4 would be the selector for every H4 element. H4.Header would
apply only to H4 elements with class = "Header".

I need the final output in the html file to be:
h4 class="header"some text.../h4

I don't think there is a way to do that. You can fudge by creating a
character style and applying it over the top of the paragraph style. So, in
Word's words, use paragraph style Heading 4, and a character style you use
just for the "header" class. Apply both to the text and Word will give you
h4span class="header"xxxxx/span/h4

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word