Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mark Mark is offline

Default createdate field in normal.dot

Hi
We are running WinXP SP2 and Office 2003 SP2.

Our Quality staff have created templates with a createdate field in the
footer of documents. While these are named for example, Version Control.dot,
whenever we open the template the createdate field is updated to todays date.
However as soon as we name this template normal.dot and copy to default
location in user profile, whenever we now open Word the document has the
original date that the template was created and not todays date.
Further, if we then save the document the field does not look as if it is
updated - you need to go into Print Preview (when the new date does show) or
print it. is there any way this can be fixed is that just the way it is.

Thanks
Mark
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The purpose of the createdate field is to insert the date of the day upon
which a new document was created from the template. For the purpose that
they want the date to serve, they should just type the date in as text.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Mark" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot create normal.dot in this way. Normal.dot can only be created by
Word, which it will do automatically if it doesn't exist. It is not wise to
put footer text in normal.dot (or to use a footer of any type in normal.dot)
as it will have knock on effects. e.g. you will not be able to create
labels.

The creation date of a template is irrelevant to the documents produced from
it. The createdate field will show in the documents the date the document
was created. The createdate field on the *template* will always show the
date the template was created.

The idea of a template is that you create new documents from it. These new
documents will already have the date correctly updated. The only way to
change that date is to subsequently use File Saveas - which will then
update the field to that date - however then the field may not automatically
update.

Why do they call your IT staff 'quality staff' when clearly 'quality' is the
main thing they lack? Clearly someone needs some training in the use of
templates.