Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SueK

Default Field codes not updating

I just learned about field codes Friday. I've tested it and it seemed to
work. However, this morning, I tried again but one of the field codes is not
updating. I used 2 different source documents. Can someone tell me what's
why the other one is not working? I check the toggle field and the codes
look the same except of course for the document name and bookmark name.

I need help ASAP as I have a meeting this afternoon to explain this.

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It is possible that the field is locked - you can lock a field to
prevent it from updating.

To determine whether a field is locked, right-click it. There will be
an item on the shortcut menu that says "Update Field". If that is
grayed out, the field is locked.

To lock a field: Click anywhere in the field and press CTRL + F11 on
the keyboard. To unlock a field: Click anywhere in the field and press
CTRL + SHIFT + F11.

Let me know if that doesn't work and we will look at other options.

J. Cairn
www.clearhelp.com
MS Word Help That Actually Helps

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SueK

By the way, when I used Insert instead of Insert as Link, it works. I also
neglected to mention that the source document is a form. Does that have
anything to do with it?

" wrote:

It is possible that the field is locked - you can lock a field to
prevent it from updating.

To determine whether a field is locked, right-click it. There will be
an item on the shortcut menu that says "Update Field". If that is
grayed out, the field is locked.

To lock a field: Click anywhere in the field and press CTRL + F11 on
the keyboard. To unlock a field: Click anywhere in the field and press
CTRL + SHIFT + F11.

Let me know if that doesn't work and we will look at other options.

J. Cairn
www.clearhelp.com
MS Word Help That Actually Helps

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Most field codes do not update upon opening. Which does what varies from
version of Word to version.

Which field codes? Which version of Word?

The following macro, if in the template, will update all fields in the
document each time it is opened. There are good reasons why this is not the
default.

Sub AutoOpen()
' All Story Field Updater
' Written by Charles Kyle Kenyon 9 December 2004
' repaired with help from Jezebel 10 December 2004, 28 November 2005
' Note, if used in protected form this will reset
' formfields to their defaults
Dim oStory As Range
On Error Resume Next
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
Do
oStory.Fields.Update
Set oStory = oStory.NextStoryRange
Loop Until oStory Is Nothing
Next
End Sub
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"SueK" wrote in message
I just learned about field codes Friday. I've tested it and it seemed to
work. However, this morning, I tried again but one of the field codes is
not
updating. I used 2 different source documents. Can someone tell me
what's
why the other one is not working? I check the toggle field and the codes
look the same except of course for the document name and bookmark name.

I need help ASAP as I have a meeting this afternoon to explain this.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SueK

It's the Include Text field. I'm using Word 2003. I understand that it
doesn't update automatically, but when I update it using the shortcut, it
doesn't show up. I've tested it by inserting 2 other different include text
field from 2 different source documents that are not forms and they work
fine. I just don't understand why the one from the form doesn't work.

I'm not good with macro but I'll try your suggestion.

"SueK" wrote in message
I just learned about field codes Friday. I've tested it and it seemed to
work. However, this morning, I tried again but one of the field codes is
not
updating. I used 2 different source documents. Can someone tell me
what's
why the other one is not working? I check the toggle field and the codes
look the same except of course for the document name and bookmark name.

I need help ASAP as I have a meeting this afternoon to explain this.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Are you getting anything? An error?

"update it using the shortcut" ?
I don't have a clue what this means. Click on a field and press F9 to update
it.

Have you tried what you are doing with something in a formfield in a
different document which is protected for forms? Is your source document
protected for forms, or simply a form?
--

"SueK" wrote in message
I just learned about field codes Friday. I've tested it and it seemed
work. However, this morning, I tried again but one of the field codes
is
not
updating. I used 2 different source documents. Can someone tell me
what's
why the other one is not working? I check the toggle field and the
codes
look the same except of course for the document name and bookmark name.

I need help ASAP as I have a meeting this afternoon to explain this.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SueK

I'm sorry, I meant I right clicked to update it. I also did F9.

I've tried using different source documents that's protected for forms and
not protected for forms and they don't work. I've renamed the bookmark in
the form field from the source document and still it doesn't work. Only when
I insert it does it work and not when I "insert as link" which leads me to
believe that it doesn't work for forms.

I'm sorry for taking up a lot of your time and I do appreciate you trying to
help me very much.

"SueK" wrote in message
I just learned about field codes Friday. I've tested it and it seemed
work. However, this morning, I tried again but one of the field codes
is
not
updating. I used 2 different source documents. Can someone tell me
what's
why the other one is not working? I check the toggle field and the
codes
look the same except of course for the document name and bookmark name.

I need help ASAP as I have a meeting this afternoon to explain this.

Thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

To update a field in a protected form you will need to either use calculate
on exit from the form field eg to update a REF field or run an update macro
on exit from the form field - eg the code at

What is the syntax of the field that won't update?

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

[...]

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide