Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Default Opening Word document

Hi

A colleague put a Word document onto a floppy disc for me and, as I haven't
got a floppy drive, I d/loaded it onto another pc which doesn't have MS
Office, then emailed to myself.
Now when I try to open it in Word it comes up with an error message that
says
" The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions. * Check the
file permissions for the document or drive. * Use the file open dialogue box
to locate the document."

Whe I click on the icon Word opens up then comes up with this message

Anyone help?

TIA
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Save the attachment to your HD and open it from within Word - *don't*
dbl-click the attachment. For all intents & purposes, assume that
"attachments" don't actually exist as files.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Steve" sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com wrote in message
Hi

A colleague put a Word document onto a floppy disc for me and, as I
haven't got a floppy drive, I d/loaded it onto another pc which doesn't
have MS Office, then emailed to myself.
Now when I try to open it in Word it comes up with an error message that
says
" The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions. * Check
the file permissions for the document or drive. * Use the file open
dialogue box to locate the document."

Whe I click on the icon Word opens up then comes up with this message

Anyone help?

TIA
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

Hi
I've just tried that and it still comes up with the same error message

Steve

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Then there could be any number of other possibilities, including that the
file may have been corrupted on the floppy - especially if it was saved
directly to the floppy rather than being copied or if it was attached to the
email directly from the floppy.

All I can suggest is that you try one of the following:

1- Have the other person email the file straight to you, or

2- Copy the file from the floppy to a Windows machine, then try to open it
using WordPad (if Word isn't available on that system). In order to do so,
launch WordPad & go to FileOpen, change the Files of Type: to Word for
Windows (.doc) and if it opens OK close and resend that copy as an email
attachment.
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson Tom Ferguson is offline

Instead of opening the e-mail attachment by clicking on it, save the
attachment to your hard drive. Then, open Word and open the file by
using the File Open dialogue and navigating to the directory you used to
save the file.

Let us know.

Tom
Windows Shell/User

"Steve" sr2000{at}talk21{dot}com wrote in message
Hi

A colleague put a Word document onto a floppy disc for me and, as I
haven't got a floppy drive, I d/loaded it onto another pc which
doesn't have MS Office, then emailed to myself.
Now when I try to open it in Word it comes up with an error message
that says
" The document name or path is not valid. Try these suggestions. *
Check the file permissions for the document or drive. * Use the file
open dialogue box to locate the document."

Whe I click on the icon Word opens up then comes up with this message

Anyone help?

TIA
Steve

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve[_3_] Steve[_3_] is offline

No matter which way I try it still comes up with the same message. It must
have got corrupted somewhere along the line. I'll have to see if I can get
it another way.
The person who I had it off doesn't have email, I don't have a floppy drive
and the computer that I used to read the disc doesn't have MS Office.
Thanks to everyone for their input.

Steve

"Tom Ferguson" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

It seems like you're going thru an awful lot of steps - each one could be
the issue. Do you have a little flash drive to use to transfer the file to
your computer?

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Try again and hope that the floppy itself is not corrupted (if it is, ask
the person you got it from to try again, using Windows Explorer to copy the
file to the disk instead of using Save As, if that is what perhaps caused
the problem). Copy the file from the floppy to Computer #1. Then use a file
compression utility such as WinZip to zip the file before attaching it to
your email. This will further protect it from corruption in cyberspace.
Email the compressed file as an attachment to yourself at the computer where
you have Office installed. When you receive the email, do not try to open
the attachment directly. Save it to the HD, unzip it there, and then open it
in Word--fingers crossed!