MRolko

Default How review properties of existing block of text that is a bookmark

A Word document contains several bookmarks that are each defined on a block
of text, i.e. each bookmark is defined on multiple words. e.g. a sentence or
paragraph. How do I view the properties of those bookmarks? I can get to the
bookmarks with Insert - bookmark - goto,. However, when I go to such a
bookmark or select all the text in the bookmark and right click, there is no
'properties' menu item, like there is for a bookmakr defined on a single
word. Thanks.
Jezebel

A bookmark is nothing other than a range of document (ie a Name, Start
point, and End point). It doesn't have any properties independent of the
underlying text. What properties do you want to review?

"MRolko" wrote in message
A Word document contains several bookmarks that are each defined on a block
of text, i.e. each bookmark is defined on multiple words. e.g. a sentence
or
paragraph. How do I view the properties of those bookmarks? I can get to
the
bookmarks with Insert - bookmark - goto,. However, when I go to such a
bookmark or select all the text in the bookmark and right click, there is
no
'properties' menu item, like there is for a bookmakr defined on a single
word. Thanks.

MRolko

Default How review properties of existing block of text that is a book

Single word bookmarks have properties such as checkboxes for fill-in enabled,
calculate on edit, length settings... These appear in a text formfield
options popup on clicking properties, so I was wondering how to see the
equivalent info for a bookmarked block of text. I am trying to learn as much
as possible about bookmarks to debug some bookmarks that I cannot replace the
text therein from a VBA call (from an Access application). Thanks.

"Jezebel" wrote:

A bookmark is nothing other than a range of document (ie a Name, Start
point, and End point). It doesn't have any properties independent of the
underlying text. What properties do you want to review?

Jay Freedman

Hi M,

You have a wrong idea here.

What you're calling a "single word bookmark" is actually a "text form
field". The part that's confusing is that each form field has a bookmark
associated with it, which serves as the form field's name. The properties in
the dialog are associated with the "form-field-ness", not with the
"bookmark-ness".

Other bookmarks -- what you're calling a "bookmarked block of text" -- that
are not associated with form fields are just bookmarks. They don't behave
the same way as form fields at all, and specifically they don't have
properties such as calculate on exit or maximum length.

A plain bookmark, without a form field, can contain anything from the entire
document to a single word, or a single character, or nothing at all (that
is, the start and end positions are the same). Conversely, a text form field
can contain many words. That is, length in characters or words has nothing
to do with the distinction.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman