Emily

Default How do I sort Table of Contents in Word by entry, not by page?

I have inserted a TOC into document, and as it grows, am continually updating
it. The problem is that it sorts by page number, whereas I'd like it sorted
by entry. e.g. I don't want Zeus to appear at the beginning, just because
it's on page 2, whilst Aristotle is at the end, because it appears on page 80!

Am using Word 2003
Jezebel

That's an index, not a table of contents. A TOC, by definition, lists the
contents in the order in which they occur. The better way to create an index
is to insert Index entries for the items that should appear (which is
usually rather more than simply the headings, unlike a TOC).

If you must, you can unlink your TOC (Ctrl-Shift-F9) then use Sort from the
Table menu. Bear in mind that it won't then update. You'll also confuse the
hell out of your readers.