Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
cottonchipper

Default Need help with layout - use of tables

I would like some advice on the best way to create a multipage document
containing images and text. I'm thinking that using Word and using
tables would be best, but if there's a better way to do it, please
chime in.

The document will be a guide to collectible matchcovers and contain
mostly just pages and pages of matchcovers and some brief descriptive
words about where they are from. Once I've completed the Word
document, I intend to convert it to PDF so it can be viewed or printed
by the user.

The document will contain full-size images of matchcovers, which are
generally about 4-1/2" to 5" tall and 1-1/2" to 2" wide. I would like
to enclose each image in a box, but sometimes there will be two images
side by side (front and back) in the same box. Underneath the box,
maybe in another box or underneath the image, inside the image's box,
I'll type the name of the location where the matchcover is from.

Since I will be listing the matchcovers in alphabetical order by their
location, I need to be able to insert a matchcover at the front, end or
middle of the document to alphabetize as I go.

My first thought was to create a single column, two-row table and set
the height of the rows, then copy it over and over again, lining up
single column tables next to each other and allowing them to spill down
the page as they became too wide to fit the page. However, I can't
seem to copy the blank table and paste it without pasting it onto the

Should I be making this one large table and inserting new columns? Is
there a way to make the column wrap on the page?

If anybody has any template or tips I would be most appreciative. Or,
if there's another software that would be better suited to the project
and would still allow later conversion to PDF, please feel free to
suggest it.