Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarheel77 Tarheel77 is offline

Default Table of Contents Issue

Hi. I am attempting to clean up a document for some higher ups and I am
having an issue with the Table of Contents. Their TOC is set up as so:

Part 1: Introduction Header2
1.1 Description of the.... Header
1.2 Purpose of the.... Header
1.3 .... Organizational support Header

I am attempting to add in a third layer for them. i.e. 1.3.1 and I don't
have a clue what to format 1.3.1 as. If they used HEader2 first and then
Header for the sub-heading, what can I format 1.3.1 as??? Hope this made
sense and thanks for all your support.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

To set up auto numbering, just follow the instructions at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html, and then
apply the styles to the appropriate paragraphs of text. Note that you don't
have to use the built-in headings if you don't want to, but it will be
easier to do that, because they will display correctly in the TOC by
default.

For more on TOC creation, see
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/toc/CreateATOC.html.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Tarheel77" wrote in message
Hi. I am attempting to clean up a document for some higher ups and I am
having an issue with the Table of Contents. Their TOC is set up as so:

Part 1: Introduction Header2
1.1 Description of the.... Header
1.2 Purpose of the.... Header
1.3 .... Organizational support Header

I am attempting to add in a third layer for them. i.e. 1.3.1 and I don't
have a clue what to format 1.3.1 as. If they used HEader2 first and then
Header for the sub-heading, what can I format 1.3.1 as??? Hope this made
sense and thanks for all your support.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tarheel77 Tarheel77 is offline

Thank you for your assistance.

Here is what I did. I made all the Part 1s Heading2
all the sub-topics are Header
all the sub-sub-topics are Header2

My only issue is that I now need to properly format them in the TOC.
Currently the only issue is header2 is not the correct font (in the TOC) and
it is not indented (in the TOC). hope that makes sense and any wisdom you
can share would be greatly appreciated!

"Tarheel77" wrote in message
Hi. I am attempting to clean up a document for some higher ups and I am
having an issue with the Table of Contents. Their TOC is set up as so:

Part 1: Introduction Header2
1.1 Description of the.... Header
1.2 Purpose of the.... Header
1.3 .... Organizational support Header

I am attempting to add in a third layer for them. i.e. 1.3.1 and I don't
have a clue what to format 1.3.1 as. If they used HEader2 first and then
Header for the sub-heading, what can I format 1.3.1 as??? Hope this made
sense and thanks for all your support.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you display your Styles & Formatting panel (differently in
different versions of Word), you can identify the style used (only)
for the ToC entry for that particular heading style. Right-click on
it, choose Modify, and fix your font and indentation (the latter,
hopefully, simply within Format Paragraph).