Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CristinaC CristinaC is offline

Default html mailmerge using outlook contacts does not work

I'm trying to create a html mailmerge using Word & Outlook 2003 - I want to
send the file via email to my outlook contacts. problem 1- When I get to
step 3 - select recipients, I pick select from outlook contacts - I select my
address book and the contacts I want - and when I select ok, select
recipients goes back to the default - 'use an existing list'. problem 2 I
then create a list for it to use, and then it steps though the rest of the
wizard process but it never actually sends the message. The only way I can
get it to send an email message is by using plain text or an attachment -
I've even attemped the merge without the wizard and checked for errors - I
get no errors - any ideas where else I can check for problems? thanks so
much!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Assuming you also have Outlook Express on your system, try this:
a. close Outlook
b. look at Internet Explorer|Tools|Internet Options|Programs
c. if you have a choice of Outlook and Outlook Express, try changing
the default Mail program to Outlook Express.
d. if possible, open Outlook Express and use it to send an email (not a
merge to HTML - it won't work), then
close it. However, since you typically have to set up an account to use
Outlook Express, that can
be a slog.
e. change the default Mail program back to Outlook.

See if that makes any difference.

"Disappearing emails" is occasionally reported but there seems to be no
single obvious reason for it, so if you do discover the reason in your case
it would be helpful if you could post back. Some things to look at and/or
try:
a. is Outlook the default Mail program (IE Tools|Internet Options|programs)
?
b. Check Outlook Tools|Options|Other|"Advanced options"|"Enable mail
logging (troubleshooting)". Then restart.
c. if you have a COM Addin called bxAutoZip (see Outlook
Tools|Options|Other|"Advanced Options"|"COM Addins") disable it temporarily.
(If you have other addins and disabling them will do no harm, I'd do that
too).
d. make sure you know where your .pst file is, make a backup copy, and run
the SCANPST.EXE utility - on my system it's in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033 )
e. ensure you only have one mail profile (Control Panel|Mail|Show
Profiles)
f. recreate your Outlook profile (I don't have a good set of instructions
for that right now)

Could this problem be related to a specific update? (i.e. did it ever
work, and if so, when did it stop working?)

Peter Jamieson

"CristinaC" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a html mailmerge using Word & Outlook 2003 - I want
send the file via email to my outlook contacts. problem 1- When I get to
step 3 - select recipients, I pick select from outlook contacts - I select
my
address book and the contacts I want - and when I select ok, select
recipients goes back to the default - 'use an existing list'. problem 2 I
then create a list for it to use, and then it steps though the rest of the
wizard process but it never actually sends the message. The only way I can
get it to send an email message is by using plain text or an attachment -
I've even attemped the merge without the wizard and checked for errors - I
get no errors - any ideas where else I can check for problems? thanks so
much!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
CristinaC CristinaC is offline

thanks for your response...I do have outlook and outlook express although I
use outlook primarily. I tried the steps you listed and still have no
success...I thought this was related to an update, but I can not figure out
which update it could be. I have only found one other machine in our
department with a comparable configuration to mine where this feature works
and there are many updates that I have that the other system does not...I
guess I start with a fresh image and install them one at a time until I
figure out which one broke this! thanks for your response.

CC

"CristinaC" wrote in message
I'm trying to create a html mailmerge using Word & Outlook 2003 - I want
send the file via email to my outlook contacts. problem 1- When I get to
step 3 - select recipients, I pick select from outlook contacts - I select
my
address book and the contacts I want - and when I select ok, select
recipients goes back to the default - 'use an existing list'. problem 2 I
then create a list for it to use, and then it steps though the rest of the
wizard process but it never actually sends the message. The only way I can
get it to send an email message is by using plain text or an attachment -
I've even attemped the merge without the wizard and checked for errors - I
get no errors - any ideas where else I can check for problems? thanks so
much!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

guess I start with a fresh image and install them one at a time until I
figure out which one broke this!

I'm afraid I can't offer any better suggestions. Sorry...

Peter Jamieson