Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Default Modifying styles or creating new ones in Word 2007

Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones, only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do it again,
after I close out Word?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Ignore all the Word2007 nonsense ("Style Galleries" and "Building
Blocks" and all that) and do it just like in Word2003 -- the tiny
arrow at the bottom right of the Home Styles block gives you the old
familiar Styles & Formatting panel. The New Style button is at its
bottom left.

On Feb 20, 2:58*pm, Paul wrote:
Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones, only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do it again,
after I close out Word?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
paul paul is offline

Did that. And when I created a new style, it didn't last. I wasn't able to
find it in any of the lists of styles at all....
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501

On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, Paul wrote:
Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones, only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do it again,
after I close out Word?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

By "didn't last," do you mean, not even in the document you created
them in? (That's weird.)

If they don't move to your template so they're available next time,
then you need to check the box about Adding to Template or Making
Default in the Modify panel.

On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, Paul wrote:
Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones, only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do it again,
after I close out Word?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Hmmm well they weren't available in a pre-existing document, but when I
clicked on a new document (based on normal.dot obviuosly) both were
available--my new style and a modified, default style. I guess new styles
don't show up in old docs? that's funny but at least for future docs I'll
have this
--
Paul
Office 2007

On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, Paul wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Styles added to a template since you created the document are not added to
the document unless you re-attach the template to the document (from the
developer tab).

On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, Paul wrote:
Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones,
only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage
Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying
a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made
to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of
these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do
it again,
after I close out Word?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

The more I think about that it makes no sense to me at all--I really can't
be bothered to think about when I created a document. I just want to be able
to format long quotations in a particular way--all the time. I'll use some
other way to set this up.

On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, Paul wrote:
Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones,
only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage
Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying
a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made
to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of
these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do
it again,
after I close out Word?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

No I take that back. All my previous docs have already been properly
formatted. No need to go back and edit quotations in them, I suppose.

On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, Paul wrote:
Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones,
only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage
Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying
a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made
to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of
these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do
it again,
after I close out Word?
--
Paul

MS Office 2007
XP Home SP3
Dell Inspiron 1501-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Be careful what you wish for ... you seem to be asking Word to
automatically change the perhaps thousands of documents you created
before today, without asking, on the basis of today's change!

On Feb 21, 7:51*am, "Paul" wrote:
The more I think about that it makes no sense to me at all--I really can't
be bothered to think about when I created a document. I just want to be able
to format long quotations in a particular way--all the time. I'll use some
other way to set this up.

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

Styles added to a template since you created the document are not added to
the document unless you re-attach the template to the document (from the
developer tab).

--

Graham Mayor - *Word MVP

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

On Feb 20, 2:58 pm, Paul wrote:
Having a tough time with styles. I have tried creating new ones,
only to find
that they are not in Word's list of styles--when I click on Manage
Styles
button, or from the ribbon. I gave up on that, and tried modifying
a current
style, only to find that Word will not save the changes I've made
to one of
the default styles.

Can someone link me to a page letting me know how to do one of
these two
simple tasks (they were simple in Office 2003)--and be able to do
it again,
after I close out Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton via msnews.microsoft.com Beth Melton via msnews.microsoft.com is offline

"Paul" wrote in message
Hmmm well they weren't available in a pre-existing document, but when I
clicked on a new document (based on normal.dot obviuosly) both were
available--my new style and a modified, default style. I guess new styles
don't show up in old docs? that's funny but at least for future docs I'll
have this

As noted in this thread, no, the new style isn't retroactive. What you can
do for those documents you want to use your new an/or modified styles in is
create a Quick Style Set. If you look at Change Styles and the Quick Style
Sets you'll get an idea of what I'm referring to if you aren't familiar with
them since this is new to Word 2007. You'll also see the ability to save a
Quick Style Set at the bottom.

The key to creating a Style Set is only those styles that display in the
Styles Gallery will be saved in your Quick Style Set. You can add/remove
styles from the Styles gallery using the Styles pane. After you save your
Quick Style Set then all you have to do is open a document and select your
Quick Style Set and new styles will be added and those that were modified in
the Quick Style Set will be updated.

--
Beth Melton

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface: