Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben Bavarian, Father of Modern AFIS Ben Bavarian, Father of Modern AFIS is offline

Default How can I undo a "save file" action that I just did?

So I just clicked on the "disk" icon and saved the latest edits in WORD. But
I really did not mean to do that. Say wnated to do a "save as" with new name.
How do I undo the action?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 1 Jan 2008 10:31:03 -0800, Ben Bavarian, "Father of Modern
wrote:

So I just clicked on the "disk" icon and saved the latest edits in WORD. But
I really did not mean to do that. Say wnated to do a "save as" with new name.
How do I undo the action?

As long as the document is still open, you can use Undo to bring the
document on the screen back to the condition before you started this
session, and save that as a different file (for example,
MyDocBeforeChanges.doc). Then use the My Computer program to rename
the modified file, and finally rename the BeforeChanges copy back to
the original name.

If you've already closed the document, Undo is no longer available. In
that case, let's hope you had the "Always make backup copy" option
turned on in Tools Options Save; if it was turned on, the
preceding version will be in a file named something like "Backup of
MyDoc.wbk" in the same folder as the original.

If neither of those methods is available, you're just unlucky. Make a
copy and try to identify and remove the changes from it.

For the future I strongly suggest you read
http://www.gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ben Bavarian, Father of Modern AFIS[_2_] Ben Bavarian, Father of Modern AFIS[_2_] is offline

I guess I need to clarify. I have gone thru two dozen of edits to the
document. It does not look like the original doc at all, or it is quite
different.
The "undo" function is simply to help you go back one step if you have made
a mistake. So yes there is undo for specific formating and typing stuff in
WORD. But looks like no nndo for file action.
Why?
IF you have "ready to click and use" bottons, then you need to provide the
undo action botton, like the "stop" botton in the browser.
You think WORD2007 is quite advanced and something like this is a most
logical fuctionality they add!?
Anyways,
looks like principal product shortcoming.
Thanks for the prompt response.
Ben

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, although you can't Undo the save, you can Undo all the actions you have
taken since you opened the file. What I do in this case is usually Undo the
entire list, resave under the original name, then Redo the whole list and
Save As.

wrote:

[...]

so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Note in order to use the Redo List you need to add it to the QAT from
"Commands not in the Ribbon". The default Redo command is actually the Redo
Or Repeat command.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

wrote:

[...]

newsgroup so all may benefit.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Note that you can Undo lots of edits at once by clicking the tiny
triangle next to the "Undo" icon (curly counterclockwise arrow) in the
main toolbar -- a menu drops down and you can scroll all the way down
it (though apparently you can't skip around) and it helpfully(?) tells
you how many changes you'll be undoing when you let go of your mouse
button.

wrote:

[...]

Microsoft Word MVP * * * *FAQ:http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit.- Hide quoted text -