vicissitude_vindication101

Default microsoft word 6.0 setup

While trying to install word 6.0 I recieve a message telling me a certain
file cannot be opened. "Setup Message, cannot open file named:" I would
appreciate it if some one could give me some feed back on this or help me get
past the problem.

Thankyou

Klaus Linke

IIRC, Word 6 expects a file "Share.exe" in C:\Windows\System, and =
complains if it doesn't find it.
You can create an empty file, name it "Share.Exe", and put it in the =
system folder.

Regards,
Klaus

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
And what OS are you trying to install it on?
=20
--=20
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the =

newsgroup so
all may benefit.
=20
"Jezebel" wrote in message
what's the file it can't open?

"vicissitude_vindication101"
. com wrote in =

message
While trying to install word 6.0 I recieve a message telling me a

certain
file cannot be opened. "Setup Message, cannot open file named:" I =

would
appreciate it if some one could give me some feed back on this or =

help
me
get
past the problem.

Thankyou

Right. The KB article “Share.exe Is Not Supported in Windows 95 OSR2,
Windows 98 or Windows Me” at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=161619
explains how to create the dummy Share.exe file.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
And what OS are you trying to install it on?

so
all may benefit.

what's the file it can't open?

. com wrote in message
While trying to install word 6.0 I recieve a message telling me a

certain
file cannot be opened. "Setup Message, cannot open file named:" I

would
appreciate it if some one could give me some feed back on this or help

me
get
past the problem.

Thankyou

vicissitude_vindication101

the file it can't open is "C:\WINWORD\RHIANNA\TEMP (little wiggle mark) E_'

what's the file it can't open?

. com wrote in message
While trying to install word 6.0 I recieve a message telling me a certain
file cannot be opened. "Setup Message, cannot open file named:" I would
appreciate it if some one could give me some feed back on this or help me
get
past the problem.

Thankyou

vicissitude_vindication101

I am not too sure what OS is, but my system is windows xp pro.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And what OS are you trying to install it on?

what's the file it can't open?

. com wrote in message
While trying to install word 6.0 I recieve a message telling me a

certain
file cannot be opened. "Setup Message, cannot open file named:" I would
appreciate it if some one could give me some feed back on this or help

me
get
past the problem.

Thankyou

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Rhianna,

From Start=Search/Find search on and
delete all files that you find using this string
~*.*;*.tmp
then start Word and see if you still get
the problem.

You may also need to turn off all other utilities
including antivirus when running setup and set
the Winword.exe file to use Windows 95 or Windows 98
compatability setting (search for Winword.exe right
click on properties for that file) if you're already
then through setup.

======
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

OS = operating system, so Windows XP Pro is the answer.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

And what OS are you trying to install it on?

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
what's the file it can't open?

"vicissitude_vindication101"
. com wrote in

message
While trying to install word 6.0 I recieve a message telling me a

certain
file cannot be opened. "Setup Message, cannot open file named:" I

would
appreciate it if some one could give me some feed back on this or

help
me
get
past the problem.

Thankyou

Robert

Tried that already, without success. I run Word 6 (Microsoft Office
Professional) on a Windows Me system, and Word 2000 or above on other
computers that I use. (Upgrading Word 6 to Word 2000 is not an option.) I
need to share files between the Word 6 and the upgraded version computers.

Double-clicking many Word document icons fails to open them. I get the
following error message: "You must exit Windows and load SHARE.EXE in order
to run Word". However, I can open all Word documents using File Open from
within Word 6.

I've read in Microsoft Support documents that:

1. Windows Me does not support SHARE.EXE;
2. A "0" kb (empty) SHARE.EXE file in the root and Windows/System folders
can trick some programs that need this program;
3. SHARE.EXE can be loaded in either the Autoexec.bat or Config.sys files in
some cases, but not in my case.

What is the cause and solution for this problem?

-Robert

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
And what OS are you trying to install it on?

what's the file it can't open?