SF

Default How many "THE"s are in my document?

How can I count the number of times a particular word appears in my
document?

Jean-Guy Marcil

SF was telling us:
SF nous racontait que :

How can I count the number of times a particular word appears in my
document?

Quick and dirty:

Find/Replace:
Find what: the
(Make sure to check the "Whole word" checkbox)
Replace with: Anything, it does not matter.
Hit "Replace All"

Then a dialog shows up telling you how many occurrences where replaced (i.e
How many "Find what" expressions)

Click OK
When back in your document, do CTRL-Z immediately to undo the Find/Replace

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Jay Freedman

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...sTextInDoc.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Graham Mayor

Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
SF was telling us:
SF nous racontait que :

How can I count the number of times a particular word appears in my
document?

Quick and dirty:

Find/Replace:
Find what: the
(Make sure to check the "Whole word" checkbox)
Replace with: Anything, it does not matter.
Hit "Replace All"

Then a dialog shows up telling you how many occurrences where
replaced (i.e How many "Find what" expressions)

Click OK
When back in your document, do CTRL-Z immediately to undo the
Find/Replace

If you use ^& as the replace string, Word will simply put back the word it
found, so undo becomes unnecessary.

PopS

:
: If you use ^& as the replace string, Word will simply put back
the word it
: found, so undo becomes unnecessary.
:
Huh, I was going to suggest something like that; then I saw your
post.

Works good, lasts long time: but, why would ^& be better than
simply doing a copy/paste and putting the same word in the
Replace With?

Just curious; I like to know other's opinoins and reasons for
things besides how they work.

Thanks: Gotta go see what ^& is all about now

PopS

SF

Thanks, Jay. That's exactly what I was looking for!

I know (intellectually) that doing a find/replace and then UN-doing it
results in essentially no change, but my heart worries because the fact is
that something WAS changed, and then put back. However irrational it may
seem, I don't like doing and undoing dozens of changes in a very, very
important document. It's just unnerving. Sorry.

I'll go with a regular count, thank you. (Even if it does take longer. I'll
sacrifice a few seconds in order to keep peace of mind.)

Thank you all.

"Jay Freedman" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 16:43:52 -0700, "SF" nospam@@@nospam wrote:

How can I count the number of times a particular word appears in my
document?

See http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...sTextInDoc.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Robert

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:29:34 -0700, SF wrote:

I know (intellectually) that doing a find/replace and then UN-doing it
results in essentially no change, but my heart worries because the fact is
that something WAS changed, and then put back. However irrational it may
seem, I don't like doing and undoing dozens of changes in a very, very
important document. It's just unnerving. Sorry.

I'll go with a regular count, thank you. (Even if it does take longer. I'll
sacrifice a few seconds in order to keep peace of mind.)

Thank you all.

--
Greetings--
In Word 2003, the Find dialog (Ctrl+F) has a ´Find and Select Allˇ command.

Jean-Guy Marcil

Graham Mayor was telling us:
Graham Mayor nous racontait que :

Jean-Guy Marcil wrote:
SF was telling us:
SF nous racontait que :

How can I count the number of times a particular word appears in my
document?

Quick and dirty:

Find/Replace:
Find what: the
(Make sure to check the "Whole word" checkbox)
Replace with: Anything, it does not matter.
Hit "Replace All"

Then a dialog shows up telling you how many occurrences where
replaced (i.e How many "Find what" expressions)

Click OK
When back in your document, do CTRL-Z immediately to undo the
Find/Replace

If you use ^& as the replace string, Word will simply put back the
word it found, so undo becomes unnecessary.

Duh!
Thanks!

--
Salut!
_______________________________________

Suzan

Can you tell me where to find that? I can find a 'replace all' but no 'find
all'. Thanks.

Suzan

"Robert" wrote:

On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:29:34 -0700, SF wrote:

I know (intellectually) that doing a find/replace and then UN-doing it
results in essentially no change, but my heart worries because the fact is
that something WAS changed, and then put back. However irrational it may
seem, I don't like doing and undoing dozens of changes in a very, very
important document. It's just unnerving. Sorry.

I'll go with a regular count, thank you. (Even if it does take longer. I'll
sacrifice a few seconds in order to keep peace of mind.)

Thank you all.

--
Greetings--
In Word 2003, the Find dialog (Ctrl+F) has a €śFind and Select All€ť command.
It will tell you how many instances of the search string it found (and
selected).
Cheers
Robert

Jean-Guy Marcil

Suzan was telling us:
Suzan nous racontait que :

"Robert" wrote:

[...]

From the "Find" dialog, you have to first check the "Highlight all items
found in:", then choose "Main document". Once you do that you will see that
the "Find" button becomes "Find All." Click on "Find All," then Word will
report how many items were found right inside the "Find" dialog box, above
the three buttons.

--
Salut!

Suzan

[...]