Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeanjacket Jeanjacket is offline

Default Opening dotx files are opening the file itself instead of creating

In the past I tried opening a dotx file with word 2003. In doing so i chose
the file association to be word 2003. when I learned that you cannot open a
word 2007 template file (dotx) with word 2003, I opted to upgrade to word
2007.

Now that I have word 2007 on my computer and the same template files on my
desktop, whenever I double-click them, it only opens the file itself instead
of creating a new one, which obviously defeats the purpose of having the
template .

Anyone got a fix?

Also of note, is that I know on my other computer with a fresh office 2007
install, the desktop icon for a template is some sort of notebook with a page
being ripped out... the symbol for these ones are just generic word file
symbols. A white page with a small word logo in th middle. If I go to "new"
in word and choose "my templates" and drag my templates into that box it will
open them normal.. but that's a bit of a hassle... I would like to be able to
click them from the desktop like normal.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Reregistering Word will likely solve the problem: see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm.

If that doesn't do it, open Windows Explorer (My Computer), find a .dotx
file, and right-click. If New is not the default (bolded) action, then
choose Tools | Folder Options | File Types, and locate DOTX. Click on
Advanced, select New, and click Set Default, then OK.

http://word.mvps.org