ConfusedOfficeUser

Default Language English US - UK

Hello,

I have been having serious problems with my word documents.

Some are saved in English UK, but many are saved in English US. I don't want
to be opening every document to change the language settings so that spell
checker works correctly.

Is there anyway of mass language conversion on word documents?

My version is Office XP SP3.

Thanks

Raj
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Q29uZnVzZWRPZmZpY2VVc2Vy?=,

Some are saved in English UK, but many are saved in English US. I don't want
to be opening every document to change the language settings so that spell
checker works correctly.

Is there anyway of mass language conversion on word documents?

Not without opening them, no. And what can be done, and how it should be done,
depends a lot on whether these documents were created on a
"language-synchronized" system or not. You'll find a discussion on language
formatting in the Tips section of my website.

Basically, if the system and Word languages were in synch when a document was
created, it would simply be a matter of changing the language of the Normal
style, and then the entire document would adjust. If the document was created
on a system with conflicting language settings, the change has to be applied
manually, to the entire text.

The first scenario could be fixed fairly easily with an AutoOpen macro that
would fire when documents are opened. The second scenario is a PITA.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)