Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ursula A. Ursula A. is offline

Default How do I restore Skip numbering option in dropdown menu?

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I don't recall a "skip" option; but there should be options to restart and
continue numbering. Which version are you using?

The easiest way to skip a number or bullet is to (re-)apply a paragraph
style (defined without numbering/bullet formatting) to the text paragraph.
For example, you can apply (or reapply) the Normal style by pressing
Ctrl+Shift+N.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ursula A." wrote in message
I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click
and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

There is a function in the AllCommands (Customize, Commands) listing called
SkipNumbering. This can be easily added to your Toolbar. I have even made an
Icon for it, as I have too much time on my hands ;-)
This function allows you to create a list of bullets or numbering, the go
back and "turn off" the numbering and bullet for a particular list item with
the need for using a different style. It even allows numbering to skip the
item.

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

Sorry that should have been "WITHOUT the need for using a different style."
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ursula A. Ursula A. is offline

Many thanks for your help.

Yes, I did added the function from the AllCommands listing to the toolbar.

Of course, everything is a matter of habit. When I work on a word document I
use the right mouse drop down menu to start numbering, and similarly I have
been using the same method to skip numbering. Like this I do not have to
shift the curser to the toolbar at the top of the screen.

What puzzles me is that the function can just disappear from the drop down
menu. It has happened before, and I was able to restore it, but I haven't the
faintest idea how I did it. So if anyone knows this bit, it would be great.
--

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Menu and toolbar customizations are stored in templates, usually the Normal
template (unless you explicitly chose a different one). In other words, if
you deleted normal.dot recently, that would restore the factory default
settings for menus and toolbars (as well as other settings).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the
dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse
click and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option
works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

I have never noticed the drop down menu numbering options dropping off.
You can also add a Shortcut Key sequence to the icon for speed.
Best of luck.
DeanH

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You live and learn (apparently). I had never noticed the Skip Numbering
command before. It doesn't seem to work in Word 2007, though.

In my opinion, it will still be easier to apply a un-numbered style. If you
want to skip numbering but preserve the indentation, it is very convenient
to use a specific style for that purpose, for example one of the List
Continue styles (which can of course be modified to suit your needs).

I realize, of course, that how we want to do things is also a matter of what
we are used to. :-)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the
dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click
and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option
works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

It would be a shame if 2007 does not have this function, as I use it daily.
I used to have a number of styles for the differing bullet levels and
numbering lists until I found this SkipNumbering command, which disregards
the specific level and maintains the indentations. It also maintains the
style name which helps when doing find/replace activites.
If you have time, maybe a further investigation into 2007 to see if MS have
moved it elsewhere.
All the best to you Stefan.
DeanH

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the
dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click
and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option
works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If Ursula is using a version prior to Word 2007, however, she can add Skip
Numbering to the context menu, always realizing that there may be many
context menus to which it will have to be added.

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the
dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click
and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option
works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

FWIW, you can still add to the context menus (if want to experiment with
macros).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the
dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click
and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option
works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The command is still there, and you can add it to the Quick Access Toolbar.
The problem is that it doesn't seem to work. Nothing happens when you click
it with the insertion point inside a numbered item. :-(

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ursula A." wrote:

I wonder why the skip numbering option simply disappears from the
dropdown
menu in word.

Usually when I work with bullets I can skip these by a right mouse click
and
klich on skip numbering.

How can I reset this dropdown menu so that the skip numbering option
works
again?

--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

To add a non-bulleted/numbered paragraph between items, press Shift +
Enter. For example, Type #1 text and press Shift + Enter twice to
type the next paragraph (twice if you want to add a space between text
and new paragraph). Press Enter twice after your non-numbered
paragraph and numbering will restart at 2.

Cheryl

The command is still there, and you can add it to the Quick Access Toolbar.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This does NOT, however, create a new paragraph but only a new line (that's
what line breaks are for). Much the best solution is to use an unnumbered
style; Word provides a built-in series of List Continue styles with indents
to match the List, List Number, and List Bullet series.