Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
junebug

Default TOCs not stable

I'm creating templates for over 200 users. We occaisionally get a situation
where one person sees something completely different on their screen than
someone else. I was assuming it was each person's Word settings until I came
across these two documents.

One is a 17 page document, 7 sections. Nothing terribly strange about it.
Page #s are set up to be Chapter-page# (i.e., 1-1). Randomly when you open
the document all the page #s go to 1-3, 2-3, 3-3 etc. Other times when you
open it, it looks fine. Also, in the template I've seen this. It looks
correct in the template, but when you first open a document based on the
template and haven't updated the TOC, all the page #s show up as either 1-2,
2-2 or 1-3, 2-3. etc. I ignored it and assumed it was a bug. This is the
first time I've seen it in a final document.

The other one is also something I haven't seen before. Also only 19 pages.
7 sections. Same set page # configuration. Intermittently, it looks ok. Other
times after updating the TOC, you get ALL of the TOC listings to say Error!
Bookmark not defined. I just kept opening and closing it and about 80% of the
time I got the error messages and about 20% of the time it looks correct.

Any advice would be appreciated.
--
June Hunt
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?anVuZWJ1Zw==?=,

One is a 17 page document, 7 sections. Nothing terribly strange about it.
Page #s are set up to be Chapter-page# (i.e., 1-1). Randomly when you open
the document all the page #s go to 1-3, 2-3, 3-3 etc. Other times when you
open it, it looks fine.

Generally, this appears to be a printer-driver issue with certain printers and
some versions of Word. That may be why you don't see the behavior consistently.

The other one is also something I haven't seen before. Also only 19 pages.
7 sections. Same set page # configuration. Intermittently, it looks ok. Other
times after updating the TOC, you get ALL of the TOC listings to say Error!
Bookmark not defined. I just kept opening and closing it and about 80% of the
time I got the error messages and about 20% of the time it looks correct.

See if this article covers what you're seeing?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
junebug

Thanks, Cindy. I don't think the article applies because I don't have Mark
Revisions While Editing turned on. We certainly could be having printer
driver issues with different people seeing different things. However, for
this particular problem, on the same machine it sometimes gives me the error
messages in the TOC and sometimes doesn't. I'm using Word 2003, SP2.
--
June Hunt

Hi ?B?anVuZWJ1Zw==?=,