Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny Lenny is offline

Default Chapter defined figure/table captions

In need of your assistance - Please! I am setting up a preformatted form for
our engineers with a list of abbreviated styles available to the document.

I have defined Headings 1-9 from the default styles. The formatting for the
styles are exampled below:
1.1 tab Heading 1
Figure 1.1-1 text
1.1.1 tab Heading 2
Figure 1.1.1-1 text
1.1.1.1 tab Heading 3 etc.....

The engineers want the figure and table captions to reflect each of the 9
defined heading styles (see above)

Heading 1 appears correctly, however a figure inserted under Heading 2 does
not appear as 1.1.1-1 but 1.1-2. If I go into the window to correct 2, 1 is
affected.

Is there a workaround to get the figure and table to display according to
each of the different heading styles?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The caption feature of Word only allows you to include the numbering of a
*specific* heading level (for each caption). For the kind of numbering that
you want, you will have to avoid the Caption dialog box and, instead,
manually insert the required STYLEREF fields (which are used to reference
the "current" heading number of the chosen level), or make use of
cross-references. If are working with a long document, it will be a very
time-consuming task.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny Lenny is offline

Stefan: would the STYLEREF field need to be customized for each incidence?
On your remarks, i'm thinking about setting up possibly an AUTOTEXT entry
that contains the verbiage and STYLREF field that is attached to a button.
The user could place the cursor below or above the reference, click the
button and insert the caption that could be edited. Would this work? This
seems to be an easy fix unless I do not see the overall picture. The
document is going to be pretty extensive with different groups working on
different sections. So - they want something that would automatically update
the figure number as the document evolves rather than something hardwired
that has to be manually updated.....

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The caption feature of Word only allows you to include the numbering of a
*specific* heading level (for each caption). For the kind of numbering that
you want, you will have to avoid the Caption dialog box and, instead,
manually insert the required STYLEREF fields (which are used to reference
the "current" heading number of the chosen level), or make use of
cross-references. If are working with a long document, it will be a very
time-consuming task.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You would need a different STYLEREF field for each heading level; to set
that up wouldn't be difficult, and you could very well use AutoText to
insert them (as well as the rest of the caption). And when headings are
renumbered, the STYLEREF fields will update.

However, note that if you want to *move* an inserted caption, so that it
ends up under a *different* heading level, you would have to replace or
modify the STYLEREF so that it references the correct heading number.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The caption feature of Word only allows you to include the numbering of a
*specific* heading level (for each caption). For the kind of numbering
that
you want, you will have to avoid the Caption dialog box and, instead,
manually insert the required STYLEREF fields (which are used to reference
the "current" heading number of the chosen level), or make use of
cross-references. If are working with a long document, it will be a very
time-consuming task.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lenny" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lenny Lenny is offline

Stefan: many thanks for your help

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The caption feature of Word only allows you to include the numbering of a
*specific* heading level (for each caption). For the kind of numbering
that
you want, you will have to avoid the Caption dialog box and, instead,
manually insert the required STYLEREF fields (which are used to reference
the "current" heading number of the chosen level), or make use of
cross-references. If are working with a long document, it will be a very
time-consuming task.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Lenny" wrote in message
news In need of your assistance - Please! I am setting up a preformatted
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

--