confused

Default Troubleshoot TOC

I'm working on a long document and it seems like this document is possesed.
I copied the contents from another document but when I paste it on to my own
blank document, it just messes up everything. I tried to update the TOC, but
the formatting changes. Then everything that is tab to the right gets
bulletted or numbered. What am I doing wrong.