Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sabinss

Default Numeric formats

I'm merging a dbf database with a document. The db has numeric fields with
values with decimals like 45.62
When I merge the db with de document, Word show the value 45.61999999... I
gues this is because of the numeric precission, but I don't know how to solve
the problem.
I don't want to use the format modificators \# "#.##0" in the field.
Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sheila D

Formats from Access or other .dbf files only exist in the source so you will
have to re-format in Word using Format commands if you want to see the same
result

Sheila
"sabinss" wrote:

I'm merging a dbf database with a document. The db has numeric fields with
values with decimals like 45.62
When I merge the db with de document, Word show the value 45.61999999... I
gues this is because of the numeric precission, but I don't know how to solve
the problem.
I don't want to use the format modificators \# "#.##0" in the field.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod

Hi sabinss,

Actually, you do know how to solve the problem (numeric picture switches),
but you don't want to use that method.

Another approach would be to 'correct' your source data. You'll likely find
that your 45.62 really is 45.61999999...

Yet another solution would be to change the way your merge is run. You can
preserve the source data's formatting by using Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE).

Cheers

"sabinss" wrote in message
I'm merging a dbf database with a document. The db has numeric fields with
values with decimals like 45.62
When I merge the db with de document, Word show the value 45.61999999... I
gues this is because of the numeric precission, but I don't know how to

solve
the problem.
I don't want to use the format modificators \# "#.##0" in the field.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

With Word 2002/3 Word is required to process the raw data from Access or
Excel - though see the Excel data section of
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm to see how to
connect to your data the old way.

Why don't you wish to add a formatting switch? Formatting switches allow you
to format the data exactly as you want. In any case the switch you have
shown is incorrect. It should be
\# ",0.00"

sabinss wrote:
I'm merging a dbf database with a document. The db has numeric fields
with values with decimals like 45.62
When I merge the db with de document, Word show the value
45.61999999... I gues this is because of the numeric precision, but
I don't know how to solve the problem.
I don't want to use the format modificators \# "#.##0" in the field.
Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
sabinss

Thank you very much for your comments.
I don't want to use numeric formats because we are migrating documents from
Lotus Word Pro to MsWord. We have at least 100 documents in Word Pro with
Merge Fields. We are trying to migrate the documents in the simplest way. If
we use numeric formats we'll have to modificate every field, I think, and
this is a lot of work.
Until now we were merging the dbf with Word Pro and we hadn't any problem.
But I'll use numeric formats if there isn't other solution.
Thank you very much.