Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mel4997 mel4997 is offline

Default Default Ruler

Is there a way to make the ruler show everytime I open Word without having to
go View, Ruler each time? I know once I have it open it will show for all
documents, but I want it to automatically be there. (Word 2003 SP3)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Word 2003 has a bad habit of randomly losing some of the user preferences.
This is caused by minor corruption of the Word data key in the registry.
Some say that this is caused by adverse interaction with add-ins, but I have
not found that to be the case and there is no smoking gun. You could delete
the key and Word should retain the preferences you set ... for a while, but
the chances are that the problem will return. The simplest solution is to
use Auto running macros to force the preferred settings that change. In your
case add the line

ActiveWindow.DisplayRulers = True

to an autonew and an autoopen macro in normal.dot - see
http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm for more details.

mel4997 wrote:
Is there a way to make the ruler show everytime I open Word without
having to go View, Ruler each time? I know once I have it open it
will show for all documents, but I want it to automatically be there.
(Word 2003 SP3)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suffered from this problem for a long time before I learned that the
problem was caused by turning the ruler off in Print Preview. If you do
that, then the next Window you open will be without it. Leave it on in PP,
and you'll have no further trouble.

http://word.mvps.org