Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ailish

Default TOC: Error! No Table of Contents entries found. Word 2002

Hi All

I am having a problem generating a toc using the TOC code and style names.
It is working fine in a small version of my file but my file is now 560 pages
and about 2 mg's in size. I am using a number of TOC's and codes etc. This
has worked in the past and I am wondering if perhaps there is a problem with
larger documents in 2002. I am confident that I have everything setup
correct because if I delete some of the pages it updates fine.

Thanks
Ailish
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QWlsaXNo?=,

I am having a problem generating a toc using the TOC code and style names.
It is working fine in a small version of my file but my file is now 560 pages
and about 2 mg's in size. I am using a number of TOC's and codes etc. This
has worked in the past and I am wondering if perhaps there is a problem with
larger documents in 2002. I am confident that I have everything setup
correct because if I delete some of the pages it updates fine.

How about if you
- start a new document
- type a few characters
- Insert/File to pick up this big document
- update the TOC

Does it generate correctly in the new document? If it does, the internal file
structures of the original document have probably been damaged.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ailish

Hi Cindy

I have tried that and the problem still occurrs. I have gone through the
document taking out parts of the document to see if I could identify the
problem. The TOC works to include upto a certain entry but when I add the
next entry I get the above error is there some restriction on the number of
entries you have in any toc, my table of contents currently has approximately
470 - 500 entries and I would need it to be able to cope with alot more?

Thanks for all your help.

Ailish

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QWlsaXNo?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QWlsaXNo?=,

I have tried that and the problem still occurrs. I have gone through the
document taking out parts of the document to see if I could identify the
problem. The TOC works to include upto a certain entry but when I add the
next entry I get the above error is there some restriction on the number of
entries you have in any toc, my table of contents currently has approximately
470 - 500 entries and I would need it to be able to cope with alot more?

I've never heard of a limit for a TOC, but OTOH I've never worked with such a
large TOC. There definitely is, however, a limit on the number of bookmarks
(more exactly, the space reserved for the total number of characters used in
bookmark names). Since _toc bookmarks and _ref bookmarks are very long, it may
be that you're hitting that limit.

(Seems like a very, very, very large TOC!)

About the only thing I can imagine, to test whether it's really the bookmarks,
would be to break the document down into multiple files. Then use RD fields in a
"master document" and generate the TOC there. Since the bookmarks would be in
separate files, if it is the bookmark limitation, you should be able to get more
entries.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ailish

Hi Cindy

Thanks a million for that I think that is the problem, the document is about
600 pages but each page would have a couple of entries and each entry would
have a fairly long name. The document is a legal document and divided up
into parts and chapters with continuous numbering etc.. would the best way to
work with the document be to divide it up and generate the toc as you are
suggesting.

Thanks very much.

Ailish

Hi ?B?QWlsaXNo?=,

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Table Incompatibility Between Word 2002 and Word 2003 JCS Documentation Microsoft Word Help 1 October 3rd 05 09:07 AM