Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieG JulieG is offline

Default TOC - ERROR no table of contents found

Could somebody please help, I have a document that has been worked on by a
number of different users. They have used header styles correclty, I have
checked their set-up and all looks OK, I have also checked the TOC set-up.
But everytime we generate a TOC we get the error above??

We have managed to generate a table of figures in the same document
successfully

Regards
JulieG
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you sure that the headings are in the body of the document? Word
versions older than Word 2007 cannot see headings in text boxes. And no
version can see headings in headers (or footers).

Also, what is the exact TOC field code? Press Alt+F9 to find out.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JulieG" wrote in message
Could somebody please help, I have a document that has been worked on

by a
number of different users. They have used header styles correclty, I

have
checked their set-up and all looks OK, I have also checked the TOC

set-up.
But everytime we generate a TOC we get the error above??

We have managed to generate a table of figures in the same document
successfully

Regards
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieG JulieG is offline

Hi

The code under the error 'Error! No table of contents entries found' is
{TOC \o "1-3"\h\z\u}

I have checked and the headers are in the body of the document

Thanks

"JulieG" wrote in message
Could somebody please help, I have a document that has been worked on

by a
number of different users. They have used header styles correclty, I

have
checked their set-up and all looks OK, I have also checked the TOC

set-up.
But everytime we generate a TOC we get the error above??

We have managed to generate a table of figures in the same document
successfully

Regards
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Well, the field code certainly looks correct. Are the headings built-in
or custom? The built-in Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. are formatted for TOC
inclusion by default, but custom headings must be modified to include
the appropriate outline levels.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JulieG" wrote in message
Could somebody please help, I have a document that has been worked

on
by a
number of different users. They have used header styles correclty,

have
checked their set-up and all looks OK, I have also checked the TOC

set-up.
But everytime we generate a TOC we get the error above??

We have managed to generate a table of figures in the same

document
successfully

Regards
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieG JulieG is offline

As far as I can see everything looks OK, I have tried to compare heading
styles and TOC styles to a document I know is OK, and everything looks OK

So I am really stuck

"JulieG" wrote in message
Could somebody please help, I have a document that has been worked

on
by a
number of different users. They have used header styles correclty,

have
checked their set-up and all looks OK, I have also checked the TOC
set-up.
But everytime we generate a TOC we get the error above??

We have managed to generate a table of figures in the same

document
successfully

Regards
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The document could be corrupt. Try copying the contents (make sure *not*
to include the TOC or the final paragraph mark) into a new file, and
then recreate the TOC. Does that make a difference?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JulieG" wrote in message
Could somebody please help, I have a document that has been

worked
on
by a
number of different users. They have used header styles

correclty,
have
checked their set-up and all looks OK, I have also checked the

TOC
set-up.
But everytime we generate a TOC we get the error above??

We have managed to generate a table of figures in the same

document
successfully

Regards
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JulieG JulieG is offline

Many thanks, I had not realised that this document contained an awful log of
track changes, when I copied to a new document these were all displayed, thus
showing that the users had previously used a footer style for headings (I
have no idea why), I accepted the track changes in the original document and
bingo a complete TOC.

Many thanks for all your help
Julie

"JulieG" wrote in message
Could somebody please help, I have a document that has been

worked
on
by a
number of different users. They have used header styles

correclty,
have
checked their set-up and all looks OK, I have also checked the

TOC
set-up.
But everytime we generate a TOC we get the error above??

We have managed to generate a table of figures in the same
document
successfully

Regards
JulieG

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Glad you got it sorted.

FWIW, the Footer style could have been applied by the "Define styles
based on your formatting" option in Tools | AutoCorrect Options,
AutoFormat As You Type tab. It's best to turn this and other AutoFormat
As You Type options off; see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm.

--
Stefan Blom