Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] cherold@gmail.com is offline

Default documents periodically changed to read only while I work on them

This is a problem I've had for years, since I first got Word 2002, but
I'm sick of it so thought I'd see if anyone could help. Sometimes when
I save a document I get a message that it is read-only and I have to
then save it under a new name. This can happen more than once in a few
hours of editing a document. Usually I can't even delete the old
documents until I close Word, even though once I rename the file it
wouldn't appear that the old filename should still be open.

These are not shared documents, I'm not on a network, I'm the only user
on the PC. I used the applicaiton OpenFilesView to see if anything
else on my PC was opening the document but no, it's just Word.

It doesn't happen every single time I edit a document. Sometimes it
does, sometimes it doesn't. Anyone have any ideas?