Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
RV RV is offline

Default Unprotecting Documents

We have a number of documents (forms) we need to modify that were created by
a former employee that have been password protected - no one knows the
password - I've tried saving as another name, format, etc, and cannot get to
an unprotected state, Any suggestions/recommendations other than recreating
the entire document?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Usually... those "documents" are saved as templates and are used to create
new documents that are created by filling in the form.

If you open the existing/protected form, you get the behavior you observe.

However... if you create a new document based on those forms--i.e., using
them as templates--you should be able to save the resulting new document as
a template, as well as be able to turn off forms protection without needing
a password.

I just tried this here, and it worked fine, allowing me to clone a protected
template that could then be unprotected.

I did this for a document with standard forms protection. If the former
employee used some stronger form of protection (permissions), then all bets
might be off.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible