Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CharlieJane CharlieJane is offline

Default sums in Forms

Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Yes it is possilbe. The how depends a lot on what you are calling a
form.

If you are using a simple unprotected document then you could use a
table and a formula field referencing the table cells.

For example Col A Col B Col C
Row 1 200 5 10

The formula field in Col C would be:

{ =((a1*b1)/100)}

Where the field code braces { } are entered with CTRL+F9

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CharlieJane CharlieJane is offline

Thanks for your answer Greg
However I'm setting up a protected form with Fields to send out to others to
use. Can you insert calculations into fields?!
Cheers

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, you can have a calculated form field. Insert a Text Form Field and set
the type to Calculation. Then enter your formula using the bookmarks of the
contributing fields. Be sure to check "Calculate on exit" in each form field
that contributes to the result.

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to

set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one

field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Yes,

For each of the variable fields you want to set the option to
"calculate on exit". Then you can use either a formfield of the type
"calculation" and enter your expression or use a standard formula field
using the variable field bookmark names for reference.

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CharlieJane CharlieJane is offline

Thanks for you help. However I'm still having problems!!!!
Could you tell me what formula I would next to multiply 3 fields - as in
(field 2*field3) x field 1 = X

Sorry for all the questions - alas I am not an IT person!!!

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Assuming you field 1, 2, and 3 are bookmarked (named) field 1, field 2,
and field 3 it would be (field 2*field 3)*field 1 or simply field
2*field 3*field1. I forget the term (I think associative property) but
it could also be field 1*field 2*field 3.

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Gene Moirao Gene Moirao is offline

Hi Suzanne,
Gene here and have been reading this thread...........followup question re
calculation in a protected form.
I can do
=field1*field2 if both are defined as numbers, and it works!
if I switch field1 to a dropdown box, it does not work. Must treat the
dropdown value (number) as a text field?.
Any way to use a dropdown-number in a calculation?
MUCH THNAK!|
Gene

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to

set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one

field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Gene,

When using dropdowns, you need to do it this way:
{={REF field1}*{REF field2}}
where field brace pairs (ie '{ }') are created via Ctrl-F9. The REF constructions are only needed for the dropdowns so, if you've
got a mix of dropdown and text formfields, you can use something like:
{=field1*{REF field2}}

--
Cheers
macropod

CharlieJane wrote:
Does anyone know if it is possible to do sums in Forms. I'm trying to

set up
a form and one of the criteria is to have a field that multiplies one

field
by another (percentage).

Hope this makes sense to Y'all!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you are using calculated form fields, while the form is unlocked, you
could toggle the fields (ALT+F9) and you will see something like
{ FORMTEXT } for the form fields and { FORMDROPDOWN } for the dropdown
fields. You calculated field would look like { FORMTEXT { =Text1 *
Dropdown1 }. Select Dropdown1 in that construction and press CTRL+F9 and you
will get { FORMTEXT { =Text1 * { Dropdown1 }}
Check the calculate oin exit check boxes of the fields Text1 and Dropdown1

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Yes, you can have a calculated form field. Insert a Text Form Field
and set the type to Calculation. Then enter your formula using the
bookmarks of the contributing fields. Be sure to check "Calculate
on exit" in each form field that contributes to the result.

newsgroup so all may benefit.