Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

Default non-word Q ab referencing in a paper

non-word Q ab referencing in a paper
this is not a WORD question, but maybe some colleagues give some input.
In my paper, I am referencing some sentences from other authors (for which I
am using endnote command of Wrod). However some of these sentences in the
orginal paper were referenced to another papers. Is it necessary for me to
included those double-referenced papers as well or just the last paper is
enough?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

Cite the original source directly if you've checked it. If not, say where
you got the quotation from (it might be inaccurate) ...

Da Turingmaschinen und äquivalente dem Begriff der Berechenbarkeit zugrunde
liegende Berechnungsmodelle nur abzählbar viele Eingaben zulassen, ist der
Begriff für überabzählbare Mengen wie die reellen Zahlen nicht definiert.
[Li and Vitányi, 1997]

:

Ming Li and Paul Vitányi, An Introduction to Kolmogorov Complexity and Its
Applications, Springer, 1997, quoted in Thorburn, WM. The Myth of Occam's
Razor, Mind, 27:345

"Khoshravan" wrote in message
non-word Q ab referencing in a paper
this is not a WORD question, but maybe some colleagues give some input.
In my paper, I am referencing some sentences from other authors (for which
am using endnote command of Wrod). However some of these sentences in the
orginal paper were referenced to another papers. Is it necessary for me to
included those double-referenced papers as well or just the last paper is
enough?
--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'll second Jezebel's recommendation. This is the standard academic
practice: do not ever cite a primary source unless you have actually
consulted it yourself. Otherwise, cite the secondary source. Aside from the
possibility that the citation in the secondary source may not be correct, it
is academically dishonest to imply that you have consulted references that
you have in fact not seen.

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Khoshravan Khoshravan is offline

I confused primary and so, lets talk with real sample as follows:
This the sentence from a paper which I want to cite:
Paper A
However, more fires then broke out over a wide area, and they were late in
fighting them1
As seen at has given reference to reference number 1 (I name this paper,
paper B)

Now in my paper I want to use above sentence from paper A, but actually the
sentence is from paper B.
Shall I cite papre A as my reference or papre B?

Also I need to show the evidence to my professor. Is there any site to show
to my professor. My professor is not used t this ng and I am not sue if he
accepts it. sorry for inconvinience.

--
Rasoul Khoshravan Azar
Civil Engineer, Osaka, Japan

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Here's what the Chicago Manual of Style (15th ed.) says (§17.274) about
citing secondary sources:

"To cite a source from a secondary source ('quoted in...') is generally to
be discouraged, since authors are expected to have examined the works they
cite. If an original source is unavailable, however, both the original and
the secondary source must be listed."

The following example is then given of a note in a humanities paper:

1. Louis Zukovsky, "Sincerity and Objectification," _Poetry_ 37 (February
1931): 269, quoted in Bonnie Costello, _Marianne Moo Imaginary
Possessions_ (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Pres, 1981): 78.

The text continues:

"In author-date style, the original author and date would be used in the
text citation and would appear first in the reference-list entry. The
'quoted in' data would be given either as an annotation to the entry or in a
separate entry with a cross-reference. In a humanities bibliography, the
same device could be used, with appropriate adjustments (authors' full
names, etc.).

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

I'll second Jezebel's recommendation. This is the standard academic
practice: do not ever cite a primary source unless you have actually
consulted it yourself. Otherwise, cite the secondary source. Aside from

the
possibility that the citation in the secondary source may not be

correct, it
is academically dishonest to imply that you have consulted references

that
you have in fact not seen.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.