Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
suroora suroora is offline

Default My styles disappear in the template

I've moved over to Word 2002 from Word 2000, and am finding that a lot of
things that worked well in 2000 have been "fixed" in 2002 and are basically
much less user friendly. Templates, for example.

I have a template that I have been using for years, with particular styles.
Normally, I import a document into it and apply the styles. Now I find when I
import a document into the templates, I can't find the styles to apply. I've
tried everything--been to all styles, customized styles, styles in use,
available styles, but all I can find are a handful of styles (heading 1, 2, 3
and normal). Does this mean I have to create them every time?

Sorry about the rant but it's been a long day.
Thanks,
Suroor
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are attaching a document to a template, don't forget the "Update
document styles" option (in Tools | Templates and Add-Ins) to actually add
the styles of the template to the document. And once you've added the
styles, clear the check box again.

You may find it easier to create a document from a template, and then use
Insert | File to add the contents of an existing document.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"suroora" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If you are attaching a document to a template

Sorry, the correct term is "attaching a template to a document."

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP