Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

Default Delete extra items on main menu?

I installed the trial version of Adobe Acrobat, then later uninstalled it.

But the installation added a couple of menu items, and I can't figure out
how to delete them.

My menu now reads:
File
Edit
View
.. . .
Adobe PDF
Acrobat Comments

I'm looking at Tools / Customize / Commands / Categories / Built-in Menus,
but I don't see those two extra menu items.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

(I'm using Word 2003.)
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

If you uninstalled the add-in correctly, the menus should be gone. Have you
checked in Tools Templates and Add-Ins whether you still have PDFMaker
listed there (a .dot file). It is the one that generates the menus.

You can delete menu items this as follows:
Press Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen. The cursor changes to a bold hyphen and you can now
click the items you want to delete (you can press Escape to return to normal
mode).

Be careful that you dont delete something you want to keep.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Eric" wrote:

I installed the trial version of Adobe Acrobat, then later uninstalled it.

But the installation added a couple of menu items, and I can't figure out
how to delete them.

My menu now reads:
File
Edit
View
. . .
Adobe PDF
Acrobat Comments

I'm looking at Tools / Customize / Commands / Categories / Built-in Menus,
but I don't see those two extra menu items.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

(I'm using Word 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

CORRECTION: By mistake I wrote Ctrl+Shift+Hyphen €“ should have been
Alt+Ctrl+Hyphen. Sorry.

--

"Eric" wrote:

I installed the trial version of Adobe Acrobat, then later uninstalled it.

But the installation added a couple of menu items, and I can't figure out
how to delete them.

My menu now reads:
File
Edit
View
. . .
Adobe PDF
Acrobat Comments

I'm looking at Tools / Customize / Commands / Categories / Built-in Menus,
but I don't see those two extra menu items.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

(I'm using Word 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

I've tried it. I assume you're saying that I should do this in the main
editing pane.

Alt+Ctrl+Hyphen does change the cursor to a bold hyphen when as long as the
cursor remains inside the the editing pane. But when I move it to the menu
bar, it changes to the normal mouse pointer (an arrow), and when I then click
on the menu item that I want to delete (Adobe PDF), it performs the normal
action, which is to display the sub-menu, which contains one item: Convert to
Adobe PDF. It does not delete the menu item. When I move the cursor back into
the editing pane, I see the bold hyphen again.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

"Eric" wrote:

I installed the trial version of Adobe Acrobat, then later uninstalled it.

But the installation added a couple of menu items, and I can't figure out
how to delete them.

My menu now reads:
File
Edit
View
. . .
Adobe PDF
Acrobat Comments

I'm looking at Tools / Customize / Commands / Categories / Built-in Menus,
but I don't see those two extra menu items.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

(I'm using Word 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

P.S. I agree that the Adobe uninstall should have deleted the extra menu
items in Word. But it didn't. I was a little annoyed.

"Eric" wrote:

I installed the trial version of Adobe Acrobat, then later uninstalled it.

But the installation added a couple of menu items, and I can't figure out
how to delete them.

My menu now reads:
File
Edit
View
. . .
Adobe PDF
Acrobat Comments

I'm looking at Tools / Customize / Commands / Categories / Built-in Menus,
but I don't see those two extra menu items.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

(I'm using Word 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Eric Eric is offline

P.P.S. I've checked Tools / Templates and Add-Ins, and the box labeled
"Global Templates and Add-Ins / Checked items are currently loaded" is blank.

"Eric" wrote:

I installed the trial version of Adobe Acrobat, then later uninstalled it.

But the installation added a couple of menu items, and I can't figure out
how to delete them.

My menu now reads:
File
Edit
View
. . .
Adobe PDF
Acrobat Comments

I'm looking at Tools / Customize / Commands / Categories / Built-in Menus,
but I don't see those two extra menu items.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

(I'm using Word 2003.)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Unfortunately, I gave you the wrong procedure. The procedure I described can
be used to delete commands in menus, not the menus themselves. Since you want
to delete the entire Adobe menus, do this instead:
Open the Customize dialog box (right-click in the toolbar area and select
Customize or select Tools Customize). While the dialog box is open,
right-click one at a time the menus you want to delete and select Delete from
the pop-up menu. Close the Customize dialog box when finished.