Rhonda

Default .wpd files

I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me files that are .wpd
which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has Windows XP). Is there any
way I can view these files? Thanks.

Rhonda

When I try to open the attachment it says:
"The file, 'C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet\OLK7086\Lets Celebrate...', does
not have a program associated with it for this action. To create an
association, double-click My Computer on your desktop. On the View menu,
click Options, and then click File Types."
I don't know/see what I am to be creating an association for. Would I be
creating a "New Type"? if so, what would I use for the "Add New Type" dialog
box?

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me files that are

..wpd
which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has Windows XP). Is there

any
way I can view these files? Thanks.

It sounds as if you are trying to open this from an Explorer window. Have
you tried opening it from within Word?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the version of WordPerfect is later than Word 2000, you may not be

able
to. But Word can open .wpd files. If this ultimately doesn't work, ask

your
friend to save her documents in Rich Text Format (.rtf).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me files that

are
..wpd
which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has Windows XP). Is

there
any
way I can view these files? Thanks.

Rhonda

No I haven't. Been just trying to click on the link to open it from the
email. I tried to save it to my computer, but it doesn't let me. It says:
"Outlook cannot save the URL to a file. Can't find this file. Make sure the
path and file name are correct."
How would I open it in Word when it is Microsoft Outlook?
Thanks for your help.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me files that

are
..wpd
which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has Windows XP). Is

there
any
way I can view these files? Thanks.

Rhonda

Ok. I was able to do a right click then save as to my documents (Didn't
think of doing that way before). When I go to open the file it says:
Open Office Document
"The program associated with the selected template cannot be started, or the
program cannot use the selected template."
Any suggestion on this?
Thanks for your help.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me files

that
are
..wpd
which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has Windows XP). Is
there
any
way I can view these files? Thanks.

Graham Mayor

Do not try and open the files from Outlook. Save the attachment to the hard
drive (right click save as) and attempt to open from there. Messing around
with temporary files merely complicates things and is bad practice. If these
are Word Perfect files, provided the Word Perfect filter is installed, Word
should be able to make a reasonable stab at opening them.

Better still, get your friend to save them in a Word compatible format such
as RTF.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me files
that are ..wpd which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has
Windows XP). Is there any way I can view these files? Thanks.

Rhonda

OK. Now today when I tried to open the file, it tells me that the feature is
not installed. I need to find my disk and give that a shot. My computer has
been tempermental lately, not allowing me to do things one time then when
restarted it lets me. Thanks for all of your advice.

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me files
that are ..wpd which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has
Windows XP). Is there any way I can view these files? Thanks.

Are you opening Word, navigating to the document in Word's File Open dialog,
and opening it from there?

"Rhonda" wrote in message
I have Microsoft Word 2000. I have a friend who sends me

files
that
are
..wpd
which I understand are WordPerfect files (she has Windows XP).

Is
there
any
way I can view these files? Thanks.

Temp files Won't Go Away June Formatting Long Documents 6 January 19th 05 04:21 PM
see copying files to cd january 11,2005 frank zangari New Users 2 January 13th 05 04:09 PM
Deleting Files erika Microsoft Word Help 1 January 11th 05 04:22 AM
Duplicate Files John Flatley New Users 1 December 22nd 04 08:17 AM
RECOVER Temp FILES from CD-RW Kimla Microsoft Word Help 0 December 6th 04 02:59 PM