Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kmewing kmewing is offline

Default Spell check in text form fields

I'm using Word 2007 on XP but this likely applies to Word 2003 as well. I
have created a form using text form fields. I have discovered that the spell
checker does not function on text entered into the fields of a protected
document. I have verified that the spell checker is turned on, and I
verified that the spell checker does detect misspelled words if I turn off
protection and type something outside of the form fields. Does anyone know
how (or if) I can enable the spell checker for text entering into the text
form fields?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patski107 Patski107 is offline

Hi kmewing,
I'm fairly new here but if you do a search for your topic you will find
several threads which refer to this article:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

"kmewing" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 on XP but this likely applies to Word 2003 as well. I
have created a form using text form fields. I have discovered that the spell
checker does not function on text entered into the fields of a protected
document. I have verified that the spell checker is turned on, and I
verified that the spell checker does detect misspelled words if I turn off
protection and type something outside of the form fields. Does anyone know
how (or if) I can enable the spell checker for text entering into the text
form fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kmewing kmewing is offline

Thanks for the reference. I did do some searching but I wasn't very
diligent. I was hoping for something simple, but I'll examine this approach
and see if I can get it to work. The article does not mention what version
of Word this applies to. The newest version mentioned is Word 2000 (one
reference that says "Word 2000 or higher"). I'll see if it works on 2007.

"kmewing" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 on XP but this likely applies to Word 2003 as well. I
have created a form using text form fields. I have discovered that the spell
checker does not function on text entered into the fields of a protected
document. I have verified that the spell checker is turned on, and I
verified that the spell checker does detect misspelled words if I turn off
protection and type something outside of the form fields. Does anyone know
how (or if) I can enable the spell checker for text entering into the text
form fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kmewing kmewing is offline

I used the example macro in this article. I installed it exactly as
instructed. When I try executing it, I get a "Compile Error: Syntax Error."
Since I'm not well-versed in Visual Basic, I'm not able to troubleshoot the
problem.

FWIW, the debugger indicates the section "Sub RunSpellcheck ( )" as the
problem.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It works in 2007

"kmewing" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 on XP but this likely applies to Word 2003 as
well. I have created a form using text form fields. I have
discovered that the spell checker does not function on text entered
into the fields of a protected document. I have verified that the
spell checker is turned on, and I verified that the spell checker
does detect misspelled words if I turn off protection and type
something outside of the form fields. Does anyone know how (or if)
I can enable the spell checker for text entering into the text form
fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Unfortunately we cannot see over your shoulder, so delete everything you
entered in the vba editor and replace it with the following which should
work without error, provided no lines are broken in the mail format. If your
form has a password add it between the quotes in the line
sPassword = ""

Sub RunSpellCheck()
Dim i As Integer
Dim bProtected As Boolean
Dim sPassword As String

sPassword = ""

'Unprotect the file
If ActiveDocument.ProtectionType wdNoProtection Then
bProtected = True
ActiveDocument.Unprotect Password:=sPassword
End If

'check each formfield for spelling
For i = 1 To ActiveDocument.FormFields.Count
ActiveDocument.FormFields(i).Select
#If VBA6 Then
Selection.NoProofing = False
#End If
Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishUK
Selection.Range.CheckSpelling
Next

'Reprotect the document.
If bProtected = True Then
ActiveDocument.Protect _
Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True, _
Password:=sPassword
End If
End Sub

If you have any difficulties with that, see

kmewing wrote:
I used the example macro in this article. I installed it exactly as
instructed. When I try executing it, I get a "Compile Error: Syntax
Error." Since I'm not well-versed in Visual Basic, I'm not able to
troubleshoot the problem.

FWIW, the debugger indicates the section "Sub RunSpellcheck ( )" as
the problem.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It works in 2007

"kmewing" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 on XP but this likely applies to Word 2003 as
well. I have created a form using text form fields. I have
discovered that the spell checker does not function on text
entered into the fields of a protected document. I have verified
that the spell checker is turned on, and I verified that the
spell checker does detect misspelled words if I turn off
protection and type something outside of the form fields. Does
anyone know how (or if) I can enable the spell checker for text
entering into the text form fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you live in the US, you might want to change the line
Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishUK
Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishUS

kmewing wrote:
I used the example macro in this article. I installed it exactly as
instructed. When I try executing it, I get a "Compile Error: Syntax
Error." Since I'm not well-versed in Visual Basic, I'm not able to
troubleshoot the problem.

FWIW, the debugger indicates the section "Sub RunSpellcheck ( )" as
the problem.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It works in 2007

"kmewing" wrote:

I'm using Word 2007 on XP but this likely applies to Word 2003 as
well. I have created a form using text form fields. I have
discovered that the spell checker does not function on text
entered into the fields of a protected document. I have verified
that the spell checker is turned on, and I verified that the
spell checker does detect misspelled words if I turn off
protection and type something outside of the form fields. Does
anyone know how (or if) I can enable the spell checker for text
entering into the text form fields?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You only need to run the macro once - and I would suggest running it from a
toolbar button saved in the form template.
If you had no password the macro can be run with only the change to the
language.

kmewing wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I did as you directed. This file has no
password for the protection (yet) and the language is US English, so
I set these parameters appropriately. The form has about 40 editable
fields. There are about 5 fields that accept "narrative" input, so I
only applied the spellchecker to those fields.

Ideally, I would like the spellchecker to run automatically and not be
something the user must invoke manually. Therefore, to trigger the
spellchecker, I opened up the Text Form Field Options window and set
the macro to run on exit.

When I tested the form, the spellchecker did function, but I got some
anomalous behavior:

1) When I enter text into a field and press Tab to go to the next
field, Word does not just jump to the next field as expected.
Instead, it quickly cycles through all 40 fields in the form and
stops on Field #1 at the top of the page. I must then manually click
on the desired field in the middle of the page to continue.

2) If I click on a field to select it for entering text, Word again
cycles through all 40 fields and stops at Field #1 at the top. I
must then click on the desired field a second time to select it.
This behavior occurs inconsistently. Sometimes a field will be
selected with just one click; sometimes it requires two. And the
same field will respond either way at any given time.

3) If a field has a misspelled word, and you accept a correction in
the spellchecker window, everything works fine. But, say, you want
to ignore this misspelling. If you click Ignore or just try to close
the spellchecker window, the window immediately pops back indicating
the same spelling error. It gets stuck in a loop and won't let you
continue until you resolve the misspelling. I had to hit
Close-Close-Close or Ignore-Ignore-Ignore may be 10 times before the
window stopped coming back. It felt like an endless loop that I
couldn't get out of.

Perhaps if I made the macro a separate manual operation, these
behaviors would not appear. I'll try that approach as well. Thanks.

kmewing wrote:
I used the example macro in this article. I installed it exactly as
instructed. When I try executing it, I get a "Compile Error: Syntax
Error." Since I'm not well-versed in Visual Basic, I'm not able to
troubleshoot the problem.

FWIW, the debugger indicates the section "Sub RunSpellcheck ( )" as
the problem.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It works in 2007