Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Janfry Janfry is offline

Default Merge with CSV. Encoding problem

Hi.

Using Word 2003 SP2, when I link the datasource, a csv file, to the
document, appears a dialog to select the text encoding: Windows (default),
MSDOS, Other.

Programming with VBA, that dialog does not appear, but the document
generated from the merging, the characters with accent (á,é, etc...) are seen
like "squares" or japanese characters.

The Document.Open method has a parameter to specify the Encoding, but
MailMerge.OpenDataSource does not include it.

Is there any way to not appear that dialog and specify the encoding?

Thanks,

Janfry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

First, can you try creating the Windows registry entry described in the
following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290981/en-us

(I don't know whether it's relevant in this situation, and you may need to
choose a different code page from the one mentioned in there).

If that doesn't work, there's only one way I know to do this, and it can
only work for data sources with 255 columns or fewer. You'll find a
description in my post in the following conversation:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...unicode&rnum=1

Peter Jamieson