Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
larry larry is offline

Default Changing From field in a mail merged word document

I am using Word 2002 and Outlook 2002 and am looking to creat a mail merge
document to be sent out to 500 users. My question is:

Is it possible to change the "From address" that appears on the e-mailed
messge?
We want to send e-mails to a group of users and have it appear to come from
a maile enabled public folder.

Thanks for the help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

This is what I think is feasible/infeasible from experiments he
a. when you use the out-of-the-box merge to e-mail, you have to be logged
in to the account you want to send from. If there's some way to be logged in
as a Public Folder, I guess you could do it that way (but I don't know of
such a way)
b. if you use an approach such as the one Doug Robbins describes at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...ttachments.htm

then I think you can specify the "Send As" mailbox by specifying

objMailItem.SentOnBehalfOfName = "the mailbox name you want to use"

What happens then depends on what permissions the Exchange Admin. has give
to the currently logged in User. If they have permission to Send on Behalf
As, the mail is sent out with a "Sent on behalf of" address. If they have
permission to Send As, it goes out as if it was from the specified user.

c. Although a mail-enabled Public Folder has an SMTP and Exchange (X.400)
E-mail address, I don't think it's actually also an Exchange Mailbox. And I
suspect that therefore, if you set the SentOnBehalfOfName to be the name of
a public folder (or, for example, its SMTP address), you may just get errors
back from exchange.
d. If (c) is correct, then all I can suggest is that you probably need to
set up a Mailbox whose incoming mail is redirected to a Public Folder.
However, my experience of Exchange is now from the early days of the product
(around 10 years ago) and I cant advise how to do that, or whether in fact
there is a way to do (c).

Finally, since a public folder does have an SMTP address, there may be some
other way of generating e-mails that completely bypasses Outlook (perhaps
using Windows "NT" CDO directly but which will work with Exchange. But
again, if so, I can't advise what that might involve.

Peter Jamieson

"Larry" wrote in message
I am using Word 2002 and Outlook 2002 and am looking to creat a mail merge
document to be sent out to 500 users. My question is:

Is it possible to change the "From address" that appears on the e-mailed
messge?
We want to send e-mails to a group of users and have it appear to come
from
a maile enabled public folder.

Thanks for the help.

Missing Date Field in Email Message when merged to electronic mail form Word Mailmerge David Green Mailmerge 0 May 23rd 07 01:11 PM
Why are only 3 lines of the field merged into my Word document? CathyS. Mailmerge 1 August 2nd 06 05:17 PM
Mail Merged Field Codes Me Mailmerge 1 February 3rd 06 10:32 PM
Where is the Catagory field in Outlook when mail merged with Word. Stephanie Hudson Mailmerge 2 June 21st 05 06:54 AM
Please Help - Mail merge changes format of field when merged NeetaV Mailmerge 2 January 29th 05 01:57 AM