Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KentGSr KentGSr is offline

Default Mail Merge Word 2003

I have created a mail merge from an Excel file and all is fine except that
one field is an "amount" which is in the Excel data base as having two digits
after the decimal point. When I merge, I get four digits after the decimal.
I have reformated the Excel calculation and formatted again to have two
digits, and it still comes out as four.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You probably need to use a "numeric formatting switch" in your Word Mail
Merge Main Document.

For example, if the amount column in your Excel sheet is called "myamount"
then your Mail Merge Main Document may have a field like

{ MERGEFIELD myamount }

(Use Alt-F9 to show the "field codes")

You probably need to change that to

{ MERGEFIELD myamount \#"0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

"KentGSr" wrote in message
I have created a mail merge from an Excel file and all is fine except that
one field is an "amount" which is in the Excel data base as having two
digits
after the decimal point. When I merge, I get four digits after the
decimal.
I have reformated the Excel calculation and formatted again to have two
digits, and it still comes out as four.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KentGSr KentGSr is offline

Peter, Thanks for your reply but I am left a little confused.

I tried Alt F9 in two places and found no way to add the # 0.00......should
I change the column heading in my Excel data base to say "Amount/# 0.00" or
should I do it somewhere else?

I get the "amount" from the Excel file and it automatically loads it in to
the mail merge letter as amount and I cannot seem to change that to
amount /# 0.00, as I think you are suggesting.

Any ideas??

Thanks for your help

"KentGSr" wrote in message
I have created a mail merge from an Excel file and all is fine except that
one field is an "amount" which is in the Excel data base as having two
digits
after the decimal point. When I merge, I get four digits after the
decimal.
I have reformated the Excel calculation and formatted again to have two
digits, and it still comes out as four.

Anyone have an idea how to fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

In your Mail Merge Main Document, use Alt-F9 until you see something like

{ MERGEFIELD amount }

or it may look like

{ MERGEFIELD amount \*Mergeformat }

The stuff between the { } is just text, which yoiu can change on the
keyboard. So if for example you see

{ MERGEFIELD amount }

then you can click after "amount" and type

\#"0.00"

so you end up with

{ MERGEFIELD amount \#"0.00" }

then click Alt-F9 and if necessary, select the field and press F9 to update
the result.

If "\*Mergeformat" is in there, it probably won't do any harm to delete it.

Peter Jamieson