Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fungazi

Default Adding to Table of Contents?

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

All you have to do is make sure that you use a heading style and then click
anywhere on the TOC and click F9.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fungazi

Thanks, I have tried that and it says update entire table or update page
numbers. However, there is nothing to update because no new headings have
been added. I need to add the new headings before I can update.

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol

When you want to add a heading, just go to where you want to add the text in
your document and use a heading style and then when you update your TOC it
will appear. If you need more help, post back here.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fungazi

I want to add a new heading to my table that corresponds to new information
under a separate heading in the document. You are saying that I put the
cursor underneath the last heading under the table of documents then use a
heading style? I can't see how to use a heading style.

"Fungazi" wrote:

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Fungazi

Ok, I see what you mean now. I have to re-type the heading text in the
document with that heading style and then update.

Thanks for your help.

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Fungazi:

You shouldn't be "re"-typing the heading anywhere.

What Carol is suggesting is that you simply enter the heading text in the
body of your document in the correct place.

Carol also mentioned that you need to ensure that you format the heading
with a style whose name begins with "Heading". It's that style that causes
the TOC generator to import the heading to the TOC.

After that, it will automatically be added to the Table of Contents when you
update the TOC.

Cheers

On 16/3/06 5:59 AM, in article
, "Fungazi"

"Fungazi" wrote:

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
harry harry is offline

Carol,
Along the same lines here, my TOC only allows for headers 1, 2 and 3. I
have updated and unhidden header 4 then set the style on a header thereby
using it in my document. How do I now get the updater to recognize that I
have a header4 in my document and subsequently update the TOC?

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
harry harry is offline

Never mind, found answer in another persons post. But for others that may
view this and say, how did he do it: I pressed Alt-F9 and say the command
sequence to be {TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u} and changed the 1-3 to be 1-4 and then
pressed Alt-F9 again. I then right clicked on the table and updated the
entire table then the new headers appeared.

"Fungazi" wrote:

How do I add new headings to an existing Table of Contents?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For this and other tips on working with TOCs, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm

http://word.mvps.org