Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lito Kusnadi

Default Form function with image insertion and text alignment flexibility

Dear Word Experts,

Is there anyway in MS Word to create a document where end user:
1. can't modify the template (page layout)
2. can be forced to input certain information in a specific area
3. can input any amout of text without distorting the layout
4. can insert image

I've tried form, but the problems:
a. it doesn't do image insertion
b. it's not very good when the text to be filled in is too much (too much
text in the form UI would distort the format of the layout).

Any suggestion will be very appreciated.

--
Lito Kusnadi
Technical Consultant
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Tue, 3 Jan 2006 16:53:03 -0800, Lito Kusnadi
wrote:

Dear Word Experts,

Is there anyway in MS Word to create a document where end user:
1. can't modify the template (page layout)
2. can be forced to input certain information in a specific area
3. can input any amout of text without distorting the layout
4. can insert image

I've tried form, but the problems:
a. it doesn't do image insertion
b. it's not very good when the text to be filled in is too much (too much
text in the form UI would distort the format of the layout).

Any suggestion will be very appreciated.

Hi Lito,

You prevent modification of the layout by creating a protected form.
Here is a tutorial on how to start:
http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

Providing the ability to insert a graphic file into a protected form
is complicated, but it can be done. Visit http://jay-freedman.info/
and download form_picture.zip for a sample template that demonstrates
the method.

To require input in certain fields, see
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFl...ateFFields.htm.

Allowing unlimited text input and preventing "distortion" of the
layout are mutually exclusive requirements. Where do you expect the
extra text to go? You'll have to decide which requirement is more
important. If you must maintain the layout by restricting the amount
of input, then the usual method is to insert the form fields into a
table whose row height is set to an exact measurement.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lito Kusnadi

Default Form function with image insertion and text alignment flexibil

Dear Jay,

Thank you for your reply. Your hints help me a lot to tackle most of the
problem I have. It's quite amazing that you could make picture insertion with
form. Kudos for you.

The only problem I have now is about distortion due to text amount. I
understand your point of view about the mutually exclusive requirements.

My problem is: I have a document form for timesheet. Each timesheet contains
1 or many tasks. Each task has 3 description: start time, description, end
time.

Obviously if I use form I can fix the amount of tasks to be inputted, but
the problem arouses when the amout of tasks is too many. I wonder if it's
possible to use macro to accomodate MS word form to solve the issue. Or I
need to consider other tool.

--
Lito Kusnadi
Technical Consultant