Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kiwi_731 Kiwi_731 is offline

Default Customising Table of Contents Headng

Dear experts.

I am using Word 2002 SP3 on WinXP SP2.

My Table of Contents is more or less the way I want it, except for the
heading€¦

The heading of the automatically-generated TOC is pulled, logically enough,
from the text of the Title field. What I dont want is the page number that
appears beside it. Who wants to know that the title is on page 1 ?!

Is there a switch I can stick into the field to suppress this misshapen
embellishment? E.g. analogous to the \o 1-3 heading level selection switch?
Also, are there other options for TOC headings? I can tweak it manually, I
suppose, but I wanted to have a way of proofing myself against the scenario
where some user (e.g. me!) forgetfully hits Update entire table on the TOC
and gets extra stuff that I didn't want back again.

Regards

Hopeful Kiwi

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Actually, there's no good reason for using the Title style for your TOC
head (it's intended for the title of the whole document); I generally use a
separate TOC Head style that looks like Heading 1 but doesn't have an
outline level. You can omit the Title style from your TOC, however, by
clearing the number beside Title in the TOC Options dialog or by changing
the outline level of the style to Body Text. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm for more tips on formatting
TOCs.

"Kiwi_731" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad you found it/them helpful.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Actually, there's no good reason for using the Title style for your TOC
head (it's intended for the title of the whole document); I generally

use a
separate TOC Head style that looks like Heading 1 but doesn't have an
outline level. You can omit the Title style from your TOC, however, by
clearing the number beside Title in the TOC Options dialog or by

changing
the outline level of the style to Body Text. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm for more tips on

formatting
TOCs.

newsgroup so