T. Jenkins

Default Columns

I'm pretty familiar with Word in general, but have not used Columns much, and
need some help.

I'm putting together some meeting minutes, and since I have a lot of one or
two line paragraphs, thought that columns would make the document more
readable, which it does. However, I'm having problems with what seems to be
unnecessary page breaks.

I'm using two columns, and everything fits pretty nicely onto a single page.
However, the document is breaking to a 2nd page. What's really weird is
that the document fits on one page sometimes, but when I shorten a sentence
such that it reduces the total number of lines of text, the document breaks
onto a 2nd page.

This really doesn't make sense, so I'm obviously missing something. Can
someone either help me with this issue, or point me to some troubleshooting
guides for columns?

Thanks,
Todd

Jay Freedman

Your description doesn't ring any bells here, but look at the paragraph
formatting just after the page break to see if it includes "Keep together"
or "Keep with next"; and go into Normal view to see what section breaks
exist there.

Maybe http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/UsingColumns.htm will help.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

T. Jenkins wrote:
[...]

I suspect that Word's widow/orphan control might be a factor, too. Also, if
the entire document (or at least all of it to the end) is in two columns,
you don't need a Continuous section break at the end of the two-column
section (unless you want to balance the columns). This break and the (empty)
paragraph that necessarily follows it could well be the problem. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BlankPage.htm

T. Jenkins wrote:
[...]

T. Jenkins

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions. The MVP document is certainly
helping me understand some potential issues, but not solutions yet.

Haven't been able to access the link Suzanne referenced; blocked for some
reason by my corporate browser security features. I'll check this at home
later. In any case, I'll check the orphan control idea. I played around
with this for the first paragraph in my 2-column section, to no avail, but
maybe I need to adjust them all? I'll check this.

Thanks again,
Todd