Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malis Malis is offline

Default Word 2007 - view settings

Hello,
older versions of Word preserved view settings of a document. In other
words, if I saved it as a concept (draft, whatever the original term in the
English version is), it opened as a concept. Now it is ignored. Is there any
way to, at least, set the default view type to get rid of the "full page"
view? And is there any way to force Word to open the document as it was saved?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What used to be called "Normal" view is now "Draft" view, and the
expectation (obviously erroneous) was that no one would ever want to use it.
In order to be able to *open* a document in Draft view, you have to change
one of Word's options. Go to Office Button | Word Options | Advanced |
General (scroll way down) and check the box for "Allow opening a documentin
Draft view."

A caveat: Draft view is not entirely equivalent to Normal view; it is much
less WYSIWYG than in previous versions. I have found (even in Word 2003)
that I am often satisfied with using Print Layout view with the white space
between pages hidden. This gives me the same continuous view of the
document, but it is WYSIWYG (including showing placement of wrapped
objects).

"Malis" wrote in message
Hello,
older versions of Word preserved view settings of a document. In other
words, if I saved it as a concept (draft, whatever the original term in
the
English version is), it opened as a concept. Now it is ignored. Is there
any
way to, at least, set the default view type to get rid of the "full page"
view? And is there any way to force Word to open the document as it was
saved?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Malis Malis is offline

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed.
In many cases I just simply type text with almost no formatting and it is
very helpful to see where you have page and section breaks rather than seeing
two pages side by side not being sure what hitting an arrow up will do
One way or another - those who prefer "Print" view, let them use it, I'll be
happy to use the Draft if it works now.

"Malis" wrote in message
Hello,
older versions of Word preserved view settings of a document. In other
words, if I saved it as a concept (draft, whatever the original term in
the
English version is), it opened as a concept. Now it is ignored. Is there
any
way to, at least, set the default view type to get rid of the "full page"
view? And is there any way to force Word to open the document as it was
saved?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that if you do occasionally make use of Print Layout view, you don't
have to view multiple pages. On the View tab of the ribbon, click One Page
(in the Zoom group) option. Then set the desired zoom level, for example by
using the Zoom button. The zoom option will be saved with the document (see
also http://word.mvps.org/faqs/general/SaveViewAndZoom.htm).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP