Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ross ross is offline

Default questions about capitalization

Hi
I have to questions about capitalization in Word 2007.

1- is there any enablable function in Word to have it autocapitalize a word
in a situation like this: ?

"This is Gloopy. He is my frog."

Then I want to insert the caret before the word "He" to insert some words in
there, like to get to the following result:

"This is Gloopy. But he is not my frog!"

As you can see, the word "but" has been inserted after the period and before
"He". However, in that case, we'll always have to manually decapitalize the
"h" from "He". Can this be done automatically, so that Word will detect that
a word has been inserted at the beginning of a sentence so the capital first
letter will necessarily have to be decapitalized?

2- This one is more likely to have already been posted, so I apologise in
advance, but a preliminary search for "autocapitalization" returned so many
results, most of them about the natural automatic capitalization when we
start a new sentence.
Let's say I have a normal text with a story, typed in notepad. There are
many characters in it, so their names should be in capitals. But, when I
paste the plain text to Word to make the adjustments, then select all and go
to Home, uppercase and lowercase, then "put the first letter of the sentence
in capitals" (I'm not sure if the function names are exactly this since my
Word is in Portuguese.)
When that's done, it will rigourously do that, which means that the words
already in capitals are decapitalized. Can we prevent that, so that we can
put every sentence in the document beginning with a capital but not harming
the words already in capitals?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

There is no automatic way to do this and it would be extremely difficult to
achieve by macro as you would have to define each valid word that is a
proper noun and then differentiate between occasions when such a word is
used as a simple noun (examples in your message being 'Home' and 'Word'). If
you run the following Wildcard search on your message (pasted into Word) and
set the option to highlight the found strings, you should begin to see the
nature of the dilemma.

[a-z] [A-Z][a-z0-9]

Ross wrote:
[...]

capital but not harming the words already in capitals?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Problem (1) is easy. After you type "But," select the whole sentence
and click the Change Case button. To select the whole sentence (well,
to select everything before the next period/full stop), press & hold
the Ctrl key and click anywhere in the sentence you want to select.
(The cursor can't already be in the sentence when you press Ctrl.)

Problem (2), as Graham says, would be very difficult.

On Aug 30, 1:36*am, Ross wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

Yes, the cursor can already be in the sentence when you hold the Ctrl
key and click. Once the sentence is selected, you can also press
Shift + F3 repeatedly to cycle among upper, title (sentence case), and
lower cases rather than click the change case button. Another way to
change "He" to lower case would be to press Ctrl + Shift + Right Arrow
to select the next word, then Shift + F3 to change case -- a macro
with these steps would make this faster.

Cheryl

On Aug 30, 5:26*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
Problem (1) is easy. After you type "But," select the whole sentence
and click the Change Case button. To select the whole sentence (well,
to select everything before the next period/full stop), press & hold
the Ctrl key and click anywhere in the sentence you want to select.
(The cursor can't already be in the sentence when you press Ctrl.)

Problem (2), as Graham says, would be very difficult.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Aug 30, 1:11*pm, Cheryl Flanders
wrote:
Yes, the cursor can already be in the sentence when you hold the Ctrl
key and click. *

Then my Word must be broken, since that won't work for me!

Once the sentence is selected, you can also press
Shift + F3 repeatedly to cycle among upper, title (sentence case), and
lower cases rather than click the change case button. *Another way to
change "He" to lower case would be to press Ctrl + Shift + Right Arrow
to select the next word, then Shift + F3 to change case -- a macro
with these steps would make this faster.

Cheryl

On Aug 30, 5:26*am, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

Problem (1) is easy. After you type "But," select the whole sentence
and click the Change Case button. To select the whole sentence (well,
to select everything before the next period/full stop), press & hold
the Ctrl key and click anywhere in the sentence you want to select.
(The cursor can't already be in the sentence when you press Ctrl.)

Problem (2), as Graham says, would be very difficult.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ross ross is offline

Thanks for your tips gentlemen!
And sorry for the late response.

Add capitalization ini2009 Microsoft Word Help 2 March 14th 09 01:07 PM
capitalization TJ Microsoft Word Help 1 January 29th 07 12:46 AM
Capitalization Kat Microsoft Word Help 1 May 25th 06 08:10 PM
capitalization Mina Microsoft Word Help 1 November 5th 05 05:01 PM
capitalization Rich M Microsoft Word Help 5 June 21st 05 09:22 PM