Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Replace All isn't just restricted to selected text

In Word 2003 (Windows XP), I selected a string that is smaller than a
paragraph. It contained several dashes. I specified that a dash
should be replaced by a space, then clicked "Replace All". Normally,
this replacement is restricted to the selected text, but for some
reason, in this situation today, it did a global replacement
throughout my document. What might cause that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

On Sep 11, 6:11*pm, Paul wrote:
In Word 2003 (Windows XP), I selected a string that is smaller than a
paragraph. *It contained several dashes. *I specified that a dash
should be replaced by a space, then clicked "Replace All". *Normally,
this replacement is restricted to the selected text, but for some
reason, in this situation today, it did a global replacement
throughout my document. *What might cause that?

Solved my own problem. The More-Search: field should be set to Down
rather than All to achieve the desired effect that I describe above.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you've selected any amount of text before you open the Search
window, it will set itself to Down (and after it replaces all in the
selection it asks if you want to do the whole document).

Anyway you knew you could Undo the Replace All, so no damage.