Kamran

Default Adding "Char" to style name

As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed to
"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

Styles such as Table Text Char are created when you apply a paragraph style
to part of a paragraph (selected text); the paragraph style is applied as a
character style, while the underlying paragraph style remains the same. They
can be very difficult to eradicate because if you delete the Char style, you
also delete the paragraph style, and all paragraphs in that style are reset
to Normal.

"Kamran" wrote in message
As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed to
"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

Sharon Roffey

Hi Suzanne,

This is something that also drives me C-R-A-Z-Y - especially since I am
involved in training new users ... I spend FAR to much time trying to explain
it. It gets worse when it mutates into [style name] char, char, char. Is
there any way to stop it happening?

Regards,
--
Sharon Roffey
Community spirit: "A little knowledge goes a long way ... a lot of knowledge

"Kamran" wrote in message
As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed to
"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

I'm not the expert on this (I think Shauna Kelly is). It seems to be reduced
if you turn off "Keep track of formatting," and I believe one of the service
packs also helped. Beyond that, you just have to be careful when applying
styles.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Styles such as Table Text Char are created when you apply a paragraph

style
to part of a paragraph (selected text); the paragraph style is applied

as a
character style, while the underlying paragraph style remains the same.

They
can be very difficult to eradicate because if you delete the Char style,

you
also delete the paragraph style, and all paragraphs in that style are

reset
to Normal.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Kamran" wrote in message
As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed

by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed

"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles

and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rachel

Hi Suzanne,

Do you know which service pack helped?
Regards,
Rachel

"Kamran" wrote in message
As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed

by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed

"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles

and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

One way to avoid having "Char" added to your style names is to always,
_always_, ALWAYS use Paste Special/Unformatted Text to paste text from one
document into another. In our office, we virtually eliminated the appearance
of those "Char" styles by using Paste Special/Unformatted for everything,
then formatting the inserted text after the paste.

CB/Cyndie
Tulsa, OK

"Kamran" wrote in message
As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed to
"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

See also the following KB articles:

Text that was formatted with a paragraph style is formatted with a character
style when you paste the text to another document in Word 2003 or in Word 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902064/en-us

Some style names may change when a document that is saved in Word 2002 is
opened in Word 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917703/en-us

Also, note that Word 2007 makes it possible to avoid the "char char" bug: to
check the "Disable Linked Styles" box in the Styles pane.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Kamran" wrote in message
As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed to
"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gr8auntieokie gr8auntieokie is offline

...check the "Disable Linked Styles" box in the Styles pane

Does that cause outline styles that are linked to each other NOT to be
linked? If so, I wouldn't want to click on that option.

Cyndie Browning
Tulsa, OK

"Kamran" wrote in message
As I'm working on a document why do some of my style names get changed by
Word to include "Char" in the name? E.g., "Table Text" gets changed to
"Table Text Char". The styles this happens with are paragraph styles and
remain as such even after the name change.
I'd appreciate any info.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Yes, it does.

Of course, if the option also affected multilevel/outline lists, it would be
useless.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I believe this refers only to linkage between paragraph and character
styles.

so
all may benefit.