Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amberzoid Amberzoid is offline

Default What is file mwork32y.dot?

When exiting Word 2003, I sometimes get a prompt asking me if I want to save
the changes to mwork32y.dot.

What is the mwork32y.dot file?

Is it a problem if I keep getting the prompt to save this file?
?
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Mary is offline

That's a file that was saved as a template instead of a document. Close Word,
search for the file and delete it. Also search for Normal.dot and delete
that, too. You mistakenly saved a document (doc extension) as a template, dot
extension. Normal.dot will be recreated when you reopen Word. It's a hidden
file, so search for hidden files. Next time you save, change the selection in
the "Save as type" box to documents.

"Amberzoid" wrote:

When exiting Word 2003, I sometimes get a prompt asking me if I want to save
the changes to mwork32y.dot.

What is the mwork32y.dot file?

Is it a problem if I keep getting the prompt to save this file?
?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

No! No! No!

This is reckless nonsense that should be ignored. It has nothing whatsoever
to do with your default file save options and deleting these files could
seriously impair your current use of Word.

mwork32y.dot is a document template currently (provided you have not
followed this advice) used as an add-in to provide extra functionality in
Word. Normal.dot is your default template which contains your
personalisations. That too should not be deleted unless you are absolutely
sure that you will never want anything that it contains. ALWAYS rename
normal.dot in the first instance!

You will get a prompt to save either of these files if you have made changes
that would be reflected back to them. It is only when you get the prompt
when no changes have been made that you need be mildly concerned - and then
it will be attributable to outside issues. See
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

"Amberzoid" wrote:

When exiting Word 2003, I sometimes get a prompt asking me if I want
to save the changes to mwork32y.dot.

What is the mwork32y.dot file?

Is it a problem if I keep getting the prompt to save this file?
?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Amberzoid Amberzoid is offline

Graham,

Thanks for all the great information! One more questions - could I possibly
be making changes to the normal.dot or mwork32y.dot file without knowing it?
--
Thanks,

Amberzoid

"Amberzoid" wrote:

When exiting Word 2003, I sometimes get a prompt asking me if I want
to save the changes to mwork32y.dot.

What is the mwork32y.dot file?

Is it a problem if I keep getting the prompt to save this file?
?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is entirely possible - especially with normal.dot, but as the other
template is an add-in which either you have created, or someone has created
for you, I have no way of knowing what its function is. It is, however
possible to make changes in documents e.g. to styles, toolbars, autotext
etc, which depending on your personal configuration of Word could result in
a call to save the template on closing Word.

It would be a good idea to isolate the two templates, not by deleting them
but by renaming them. Rename normal.dot to oldnormal.dot and move the
mwork32y.dot template from its present location to another safe location.
Run Word and see what functionality you have lost. You can use the organiser
to restore personalisations from the templates or simply restore the
original files.