Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

Default Apply style to _almost_ the whole paragraph?

I have a report that needs updating every few weeks. The previous
info in one section is deleted and replaced with new info. It was a
bit of a pain going through to find everything new and delete it. I
got the bright idea to create a style for use with the new info, then
CTRL+H and replace the styule with nothing, thus quickly deleting all
the new stuff and leaving me with a blank slate.

Except it's _too_ blank!! Some of the paragraphs have a "leader" - a
few words followed by a colon and two spaces - to introduce the
paragraphs that follow - that need to stay. But they got formatted
with the rest of the paragraph, and get deleted with the rest of the
paragraph.

Is there some way I can remove these words from the formatted style so
they are not seen and deleted?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Have you considered using a *character style*? Such a style can be applied
to part of a paragraph (and it can be replaced with nothing to delete the
text).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a report that needs updating every few weeks. The previous
info in one section is deleted and replaced with new info. It was a
bit of a pain going through to find everything new and delete it. I
got the bright idea to create a style for use with the new info, then
CTRL+H and replace the styule with nothing, thus quickly deleting all
the new stuff and leaving me with a blank slate.

Except it's _too_ blank!! Some of the paragraphs have a "leader" - a
few words followed by a colon and two spaces - to introduce the
paragraphs that follow - that need to stay. But they got formatted
with the rest of the paragraph, and get deleted with the rest of the
paragraph.

Is there some way I can remove these words from the formatted style so
they are not seen and deleted?

Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ed from AZ Ed from AZ is offline

I'm not really used to using styles at all, Stefan. But that sounds
like the way to go. I will study up on that and apply it. Thank you!

Ed

On Oct 10, 11:40 pm, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
Have you considered using a *character style*? Such a style can be applied
to part of a paragraph (and it can be replaced with nothing to delete the
text).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ed from AZ" wrote in message

oups.com...

I have a report that needs updating every few weeks. The previous
info in one section is deleted and replaced with new info. It was a
bit of a pain going through to find everything new and delete it. I
got the bright idea to create a style for use with the new info, then
CTRL+H and replace the styule with nothing, thus quickly deleting all
the new stuff and leaving me with a blank slate.

Except it's _too_ blank!! Some of the paragraphs have a "leader" - a
few words followed by a colon and two spaces - to introduce the
paragraphs that follow - that need to stay. But they got formatted
with the rest of the paragraph, and get deleted with the rest of the
paragraph.

Is there some way I can remove these words from the formatted style so
they are not seen and deleted?

Ed- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I'm glad I could help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ed from AZ" wrote:

I'm not really used to using styles at all, Stefan. But that sounds
like the way to go. I will study up on that and apply it. Thank you!

Ed

On Oct 10, 11:40 pm, "Stefan Blom" wrote:
Have you considered using a *character style*? Such a style can be applied
to part of a paragraph (and it can be replaced with nothing to delete the
text).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP