Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Duncs Duncs is offline

Default Heading Style

I am writing a document and using Heading 1, 2 & 3 styles. I want
each heading that is starting on a new page, to appear at the very top
of the page...not one or more lines down from the top, but at the very
top.

The problem I have, is that whenever I select one of these styles at
the top of the page, the style format is actually applied to the end
of the previous page. So, page 2 starts with a Heading 2 style, but
the last line of text on page 1 has the Heading 2 marker. This can
sometime make a mess of the text that appears here, and I have to add
a blank line to the start of page 2.

Anyone any ideas?

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

You wouldn't have this problem if you weren't inserting manual page breaks.
You can avoid this problem by formatting the heading style as "Page break
before." And, for headings that have Space Before built in, don't use a page
break at all, but apply "Keep with next" selectively to force them onto a
new page.

"Duncs" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am writing a document and using Heading 1, 2 & 3 styles. I want
each heading that is starting on a new page, to appear at the very top
of the page...not one or more lines down from the top, but at the very
top.

The problem I have, is that whenever I select one of these styles at
the top of the page, the style format is actually applied to the end
of the previous page. So, page 2 starts with a Heading 2 style, but
the last line of text on page 1 has the Heading 2 marker. This can
sometime make a mess of the text that appears here, and I have to add
a blank line to the start of page 2.

Anyone any ideas?

Duncs

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Duncs Duncs is offline

Suzanne,

Many thanks for your reply.

The problem with that is, I don't always want a Heading 2 section to
start on a new page. I have this in for the Heading 1 style, and I
have no problems with this. However, I may want two or more Heading 2
styles on the one page. If I force a page break before format in the
style, I could end up with a Heading 2 section, with only two lines of
text on each page.

Rgds

Duncs

On 17 Aug, 13:19, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
You wouldn't have this problem if you weren't inserting manual page breaks.
You can avoid this problem by formatting the heading style as "Page break
before." And, for headings that have Space Before built in, don't use a page
break at all, but apply "Keep with next" selectively to force them onto a
new page.

Word MVP FAQ site:http://word.mvps.org

"Duncs" wrote in message

ups.com...

I am writing a document and using Heading 1, 2 & 3 styles. I want
each heading that is starting on a new page, to appear at the very top
of the page...not one or more lines down from the top, but at the very
top.

The problem I have, is that whenever I select one of these styles at
the top of the page, the style format is actually applied to the end
of the previous page. So, page 2 starts with a Heading 2 style, but
the last line of text on page 1 has the Heading 2 marker. This can
sometime make a mess of the text that appears here, and I have to add
a blank line to the start of page 2.

Anyone any ideas?

Duncs- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I was not suggesting that you add "Page break before" format to all the
headings, only those that you want to start a new page. This formatting can
be applied to the style or to a given heading, but if you want to suppress
Space Before, then you want to avoid it for Heading 2 and instead use "Keep
with next" for the heading and as many succeeding paragraphs as needed to
bump the Heading 2 to the next page. The point is that you must avoid using
manual page breaks (Ctrl+Enter), as these do pick up the style of the
following paragraph.

"Duncs" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

newsgroup so