Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Default dictionary style header

It's an insurance list. The left column has the last name of the person.
The next column has first name of the person. The final column has the age.
I want the header to give the beginning last name on the page and the ending
last name on the page: "Bigelow to Burr". In the list itself I don't want
"Bigelow" to appear thirty times but rather only at the first occurrence.
That means that 29 times column one is blank or appears blank when the list
is printed. How do I get column one to be blank most of the time when
printed, but despite that the header registers the correct beginning and
ending names on the page? For instance the printed page may have only one
name in the left column: "Bowman" that appears 1/2 way down, but the header
says "Bigelow to Bowman".
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

qumranandy was telling us:
qumranandy nous racontait que :

It's an insurance list. The left column has the last name of the
person. The next column has first name of the person. The final
column has the age. I want the header to give the beginning last name
on the page and the ending last name on the page: "Bigelow to Burr".
In the list itself I don't want "Bigelow" to appear thirty times but
rather only at the first occurrence. That means that 29 times column
one is blank or appears blank when the list is printed. How do I get
column one to be blank most of the time when printed, but despite
that the header registers the correct beginning and ending names on
the page? For instance the printed page may have only one name in the
left column: "Bowman" that appears 1/2 way down, but the header says
"Bigelow to Bowman".

Use STYLEREF fields. Apply a style to the first column, let's say
"LastName".

Then, use the following fields construction:

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}

The \l switch in the second one will make Word look from the bottom of the
page.

Use CTRL-F9 to insert the pair of {}.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Thanks, Jean-Guy.
The question isn't how to make dictionary style headers. That I have. The
question is how to get the names to appear in the header when they don't
print on the page. Take "Bigelow" for example. There are 50 insurance
holders with that last name. I get 40 lines per printed page. The
"Bigelows" stretch from the bottom of page 38 to the top of page 40. I don't
want "Bigelow" to appear on every line but rather at the first occurrence
alone - that is near the bottom of page 38. How do I get "Bigelow to
Bigelow" to appear in the header at page 39 when the name "Bigelow" doesn't
appear anywher on the printed page 39? Is there some way of making all the
Bigelows in that left column transparent to the printer, so they don't appear
in the printed list, but nonetheless have them very real to the header
mechanism that searches the left column entries, so that he gets "Bigelow" in
the header despite its transparency to the printer?

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}

The \l switch in the second one will make Word look from the bottom of the
page.

Use CTRL-F9 to insert the pair of {}.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You can't use Hidden text, as that's the only font formatting that a
StyleRef field *will* pick up, but if there's space for the name and it's
just not there, you could format it as Font Color: White.

http://word.mvps.org

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}

The \l switch in the second one will make Word look from the bottom of
the
page.

Use CTRL-F9 to insert the pair of {}.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Thanks, Suzanne!
Now I notice - using Word 2007 - when I edit the file, which includes alot
of footnotes - and I delete a body of text inclusive of the notes - the cross
references aren't changing. That is to say, at note 15 it still says "see
note 67", when the new note number (after the deletion of text + footnote) is
66.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}

The \l switch in the second one will make Word look from the bottom of
the
page.

Use CTRL-F9 to insert the pair of {}.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you have Track Changes turned on, nothing numbered will be right till you
accept the changes. But REF fields don't update automatically, anyway; you
have to either manually update the fields (with F9) or print or switch to
Print Preview to update them.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}

The \l switch in the second one will make Word look from the bottom of
the
page.

Use CTRL-F9 to insert the pair of {}.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Thanks again, Suzanne! You're right on target. Here's an odd one for you.
I have a twenty page Word2007 document. On five or six of those pages I have
scanned in images that print well. Examples of Hebrew handwriting that I
designed large. I then scanned and cropped and reduced the images to 20% to
fit on a text line without changing the line spacing. On one page the scan
isn't printing. I tried moving it to the text part of the page. No luck. I
tried inserting a scan from another page, and that one - even though it
prints at the other page - won't print on this page. The said scan printed
in previous versions of the document. Got any ideas?
QumranAndy

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}

The \l switch in the second one will make Word look from the bottom of
the
page.

Use CTRL-F9 to insert the pair of {}.

--
______________________________
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
qumranandy qumranandy is offline

Yes. What I did was took the file and opened it in Word2003 on the other
computer. It opened in compatability mode and printed OK. Problem is
Word2003 formats the pages slightly differently, so I'm off a couple of lines
by page 10. In Word2007 the next page after the one with the scan that
didn't print, the line separating the footnotes from the text-body is skewed.
It's too close to the notes and in the center of the page not at the left.
I may not have the right printer driver. It says HP laser jet 1320 PCL 5,
while on the Word2003 computer it says HP laser jet 1320 PCL 6.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}

The \l switch in the second one will make Word look from the bottom
of
the
page.

Use CTRL-F9 to insert the pair of {}.

--
Jean-Guy Marcil
Montreal, Canada

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I suspect that changing the printer driver might be the first line of
attack. Anything that shows up in Print Preview (as opposed to just Print
Layout view) should print.

"Jean-Guy Marcil" wrote:

[...]

From {STYLEREF "LastName" } to {STYLEREF "LastName" \l}