Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Tiffany

Default Sorting Text In Table

I have a table that has 3 columns and about 10 rows. I am trying to sort the
text in the boxes so they are in alphabetical order. My problem is that when
I push sort it will only sort by column, and not by row. For example, say the
first couple of rows look like this:
Bear Ape Cat
Ant Crow Bug

Then when I push sort it sorts the columns into alphabetical order but not
the rows, and it shows up like this:
Ant Ape Bug
Bear Crow Cat

When I would like it to look like this:
Ant Ape Bear
Bug Cat Crow

Does that make any sense? Is there a way to do that - to get it to sort by
row?

Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SVC

You can't really do this in a Word table. However, there is a workaround.

Table Convert Table to text and Separate the text with Paragraph marks.
Then select the text and click Table Sort, By Paragraphs , Type: Text and
Ascending. Now Table Convert Text to table, use 3 columns and Separate
text at: Paragraph.

"Tiffany" wrote:

I have a table that has 3 columns and about 10 rows. I am trying to sort the
text in the boxes so they are in alphabetical order. My problem is that when
I push sort it will only sort by column, and not by row. For example, say the
first couple of rows look like this:
Bear Ape Cat
Ant Crow Bug

Then when I push sort it sorts the columns into alphabetical order but not
the rows, and it shows up like this:
Ant Ape Bug
Bear Crow Cat

When I would like it to look like this:
Ant Ape Bear
Bug Cat Crow

Does that make any sense? Is there a way to do that - to get it to sort by
row?

Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Helmut Weber

Hi Tiffany,

without even trying to handle merged cells,
without nested tables and
without cells containing anything but text,

and assuming you know something about macros,
then, if the insertion point is in a table,
in principle:

Sub SortRows()
Dim r As Long ' rows
Dim c As Long ' columns
Dim oTbl As Table
Dim oRow As Row
Dim oArr() As String
Set oTbl = Selection.Tables(1)
For r = 1 To oTbl.Rows.Count
oArr = Split(oTbl.Rows(r).Range, chr(13) & chr(7))
WordBasic.sortarray oArr
For c = 2 To UBound(oArr)
' MsgBox c - 1 & " = [" & oArr(c) & "]"
oTbl.Rows(r).Cells(c - 1).Range.Text = oArr(c)
Next
Next
End Sub

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
elsie elsie is offline

This helps a great deal. Now I know the table has to be converted to text
first and it worked. Thanks.

"Tiffany" wrote:

I have a table that has 3 columns and about 10 rows. I am trying to sort the
text in the boxes so they are in alphabetical order. My problem is that when
I push sort it will only sort by column, and not by row. For example, say the
first couple of rows look like this:
Bear Ape Cat
Ant Crow Bug

Then when I push sort it sorts the columns into alphabetical order but not
the rows, and it shows up like this:
Ant Ape Bug
Bear Crow Cat

When I would like it to look like this:
Ant Ape Bear
Bug Cat Crow

Does that make any sense? Is there a way to do that - to get it to sort by
row?

Thanks for the help!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Akash Anu Akash Anu is offline

Hi. I have a different question, please read on...

I'm able to sort text in a table. Mine is a 2-column table, and every 20 new
rows I need to select all the rows in the table and click on 'Sort'.

So can it somehow be possible that as soon as I enter a new row it goes into
its right place in the table so that the table looks sorted ? Can it be that
automatic ??

Thanks a lot.
-- Akash.

"Helmut Weber" wrote:

[...]